Thursday, May 24

a forgotten chapter?

When I found out my daughter was getting married, I immediately bought several books that were specifically for the mother-of-the-bride. There were so many details I hadn't even thought about as I skimmed through page after page and began making lists. Each book had it's own style - one business like with charts, one humorous, one with beautiful pictures, one a survival guide (grin), one well known "knot guide", one an etiquette book, one practical - and I'm not counting the additional wedding books for decorating, flowers, invitations, etc! Yes, welcome to my life as a book-a-holic!

But you know, even with all those books I could only find a few sentences with post-wedding advice. Really. I searched each book this morning. My favorite sentence was found in a book by Sharon Naylor: "The emotion you felt at the wedding has pulled everything out of you, and now you're left wandering around the house with nothing to do." :::::THUD::::: Oh dear. My life once again does not fit "normal". At least it gave me a very good chuckle :-D

There needs to be chapter for the mother-of-the-bride who has an amazing creative friend (and I mean amazing!) who puts together a reception design that is elegant and recruits friends to pull it all together with gentle touches. Simple. Romantic. Soft. Fragrant. Beautiful. In other words, breathtaking! What I never considered, however, was post-wedding. Everything in the reception room had to be taken down and put somewhere....like my kitchen. Bolts of tulle which had been cut for chairs and bows and borders now stacked up on the tables we used for our day-after-the-wedding brunch. Vases of lilacs filled the countertop. Numerous candles and candlesticks filled another countertop. Strings of lights in boxes. Ribbons were scattered amongst everything. Throw in all the tools we used, items we purchased but didn't use, and a host of miscellaneous. OH MY! We could hear children in the kitchen, but often couldn't see them for they were WAY below the mountaintops! :-D And yes, life goes on in the midst of this. There's still meals with lots of dishes, and laundry, and cleaning, and disputes to settle amongst siblings, and baby diapers, and baseball games, and gardens calling. Life at its finest :-)

We are still working our way through the mountains, but things are looking better. I am so thankful for a daughter-in-law who keeps lists and keeps me moving, especially when my mind wanders and can't focus on the next thing!

And although the books may not have the proper last chapter for the mother-of-the-bride, THE book has plenty of wisdom to hang onto. "Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up" ~Galatians 5:14. Diligence, patience, perseverance, faithfulness. All good things to plant in my home at this time. And hopefully all done with joy and a bit of a sense of humor :-)

Enjoy your day!

Blessings,
Tammy ~@~

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin