Tuesday, May 22

the fragrance of roses

I recently read something interesting about roses:

James Creelman, in one of his letters, describes his trip through the Balkan states in search of Natalie, the exiled queen of Serbia.

"In that memorable journey, " he says, "I learned for the first time that the world's supply of attar of roses comes from the Balkan Mountains. And the thing that interested me most," he goes on, "is that the roses must be gathered in the darkest hours. The pickers start out at one o'clock and finish picking them at two."

"At first it seemed to me a relic of superstition; but I investigated the picturesque mystery, and learned that actual scientific tests had proven that fully forty percent of the fragrance of roses disappeared in the light of day."

~Malcolm J. McLeod
Out of the darkest times comes the greatest beauty. I can apply that to several situations that have happened in the life of our family and even things that we are currently walking through. And yet what great faith builders these experiences are as we realize how incredibly trustworthy our Lord is and will continue to be.

And once again the Lord has reminded me of that fact as I begin to have a moment to reflect on the marriage of my oldest daughter. There were many moments of challenge with her throughout the years....many. Her personality is much like her mother's - yikes! - which could be why we often clashed. But just as the Lord has refined me through the years (which will no doubt be a life long process), so will He continue to refine her.

The verse that comes to mind is Psalm 30:5b "Weeping may last for the night, but a shout of joy comes in the morning." Truly there were shouts of joy on her wedding day as we saw the beauty the Lord brought forth from the times of darkness! God is good....all the time!

Blessings,
Tammy ~@~




No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin