Tuesday, June 12

red brick buildings

On Sunday one of my olders and I began our travels to spend an overnight at the newlyweds apartment :-) Leaving there first thing the following morning, we headed off for orientation and registration at a college campus.

It's been four years since I've wandered around a college campus and that was when my oldest (and his now wife) were graduating. But the look was much the same - red brick buildings. Sidewalks trailing from one building to another. Pretty lawns manicured to perfection. Young adults with backpacks. The sights and sounds took me back over thirty years ago when I was entering college for the first time. Could it have been that long ago? My hopes and dreams were to be an elementary teacher, but I didn't return to college after that first year. Dreams crushed? Nope. God still knew the desire of my heart and answered it differently with me instead teaching my own kids at home for the past 20 years.

Now I look at another child of mine so anxious to leave the nest and so excited to pursue the future. And you know what? I feel just as excited! And yet mixed into that excitement comes a vaguely familiar catch in my heart as I was also miss this person who has grown and matured into a young adult who is a joy to be around, well, most of the time anyways :-) And with that comes this verse from I Timothy 4:12 - "Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith, and in purity." The foundation is set and my prayer is that it will continue to be built on in a godly way as college becomes "home".

Whether your children are home full time or home for the summer, may you be blessed by helping build their foundations!

Blessings,
Tammy ~@~

2 comments:

Randi said...

I have watched one of mine leave the nest so far. This is such a bittersweet time! I want them to be adults who live their lives following God and enjoying their lives, but I also like my kids enough to live with them forever. The good-byes are tough!

Best wishes to your college bound child!

mom said...

Bittersweet describes it perfectly!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin