Tuesday, June 26

skinny little weeds

Yesterday while the littles were enjoying the outdoors, I decided to work on my neglected flowerbeds as I was easily able to keep an eye on the kids at the same time. For whatever reason, once the vegetable garden was planted it seems that I never really followed up with my flowers. I did a bit, but nothing like I typically do. And my perennial areas were looking nasty! The big weeds were easy to spot. But the little weeds were more challenging in one area. There's a spot where Johnny Jump-ups typically jump up :-) They are the sweetest little flowers with the sweetest little faces and are random single little plants in my flowerbed. I typically let them grow where they want to because I like them so much :-) BUT I was frustrated yesterday because there were skinny little weeds that would grow right next to them and often as I pulled the weed out, out would jump my Johnny Jump-up - grrrrrrrrr! They tend to be forgiving little flowers, so I'm hoping that sticking them back into the dirt will allow them to jump the rest of the summer.

Ah, I love spiritual parallels and here comes another one....

We can be growing in our flowerbed just fine. No major problems. Taking in the sun and the rain and weathering the storms securely in our faith. Hmmm, what's that skinny little sin growing there? Hardly noticeable to us as it blends right in. It's perhaps not a big old sin that other people are quick to confront us about and work at ripping out of our lives, but it's there. Just crossing the line. Barely. But sin nonetheless. And for everyone that is most likely a different area in their lives.

One particular skinny little weed, I mean sin, came to my mind. Gossip. I'm not talking about that blatant obvious mean spirited stuff. I'm thinking more of the subtle sharing we do as women. Is it helpful, beneficial, compassionate, loving as we speak of others? Is it a curiosity, a nosiness, or a true desire to come alongside someone and help them after the information has been shared?

"When you talk, choose the very same words that
you would use if Jesus were looking over your shoulder.

Because He is."
~Marie T. Freeman

"The battle of the tongue is won not in the mouth, but in the heart."
~Annie Chapman

I'm pondering if I've crossed the line in recent conversations. And that fact that I'm being pricked on it right now causes me to think I have. And there is someone in my life who I can ask accountability about this subtle skinny little sin because I don't want it to take root and grow into a big old ugly sin in my life. I much prefer to be one of the happy, forgiving, sweet little Johnny Jump-ups growing in the lives of others :-)

"May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer." ~ Psalm 19:14

If there is a skinny little weed that is growing too close in your life, take a moment to examine it so that you may gently pull it out before it takes root!

Blessings,
Tammy ~@~






1 comment:

Randi said...

I like your comparison to being a Johnny Jump Up. This is a good visual reminder of the type of person I would like to be!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin