Monday, July 16

impact

Last week on a blog there was this statement posed: Name a role model. The person that always comes to my mind is Elisabeth Elliot. I love and am challenged by her writings. There is not a doubt that the trials she has faced in her life are the exact things that have matured her faith. And God gifted her as a writer to teach and inspire others on their walk with God.

Yesterday while weeding in the garden, I was struck by the realization of some IRL (in real life) people who had been my role models. Let me go back. After worship yesterday, I ran into a retired friend and his wife who have not lived in our area for some time and visit maybe once or twice a year. He was such a dear person in our young family's life as was his first wife to me. Having raised five children and then enjoying grandchildren, she was a follower of Christ who didn't need to preach a word. Her life was a testimony and she taught through example with a servant's heart always always encouraging others. Even in her last days of life as she fought Parkinsons Disease, her life spoke of Christ. Oh my, my eyes are filling with tears again now as I write this just as they had in the garden. Her husband remarried later on and it's obvious that his second wife is another dear blessing in his life. He said that at her age of 92 years, she keeps him going!

Two other older couples who no longer live around here came to mind, too. One couple well established in their faith, the other who were newer believers, both impacting lives of families they had contact with by their encouragement and example.

All three women within these couples ministered to me quietly and impacted me in unseen ways until this moment when the realization struck of their impact in my own life. I wanna grow up to be just like them! :-) But you know, if any of them would hear that they would immediately point to Jesus Christ.

"Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others. Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus: Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality something to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant being made in human likeness." ~ Philippians 2:3-7

May we all take a moment to consider our own impact on the garden path we are on!

Blessings,
Tammy ~@~

1 comment:

Tina said...

Life is such a circle. . . you are who I want to be like when I grow up!! :)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin