Wednesday, July 25

a new recipe

Last night I tried a new recipe. Here it is with family commentary below:

Nacho Bake

1 pound ground beef
1 medium onion, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
1 can (28oz) diced tomatoes, undrained
1 can (15oz) hot chili beans
1 can (15oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (11oz) whole kernel corn, drained
1 can (8oz) tomato sauce
1 envelope taco seasoning
1 package (13oz) spicy nacho tortilla chips
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese

Cook the ground beef, onion, and green pepper over medium heat until the meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomatoes, beans, corn, tomato sauce, and taco seasoning. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer uncovered for about 30 minutes.

In a greased 13 x 9 inch pan, layer 5 cups off chips and about 5 cups of the meat mixture. Repeat. Top with 4 cups of chips and shredded cheese. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for about 25 minutes.

~~~~~~~~~~

~I used plain tortilla chips because some of my kids don't like foods that are too spicy.

~Some of the family didn't like the chips in the casserole. They would have preferred the meat mixture baked alone with a more generous topping of cheese. Then when it was time to serve, people could choose spicy or regular chips to eat with the casserole. That way you could put chips on your plate and pile the casserole on top OR put the casserole on your plate and dip your chips in, more like a finger food.

~Everyone liked the basic flavor :-)

~It didn't take long to prepare and eat :-)

Blessings,
Tammy ~@~

2 comments:

Bonnie said...

Tammy, that dish sounds absolutely wonderful! I think I agree with your family, though, that it would be a great "dip" for making what we call "nachos" -- our own version -- meat and beans, fresh tomatoes, fresh onions, grated cheese, etc. Some put on lettuce, some black olives, some hot cheese sauce, everyone adds sour cream and salsa.

Mmm, your recipe is giving me ideas for supper! I think it would be just right for our version of "nachos". Thanks for posting it!

Oh, and so sorry about your beets -- I love beets, but have never grown them. My Midwesterner husband thinks I am nuts, but I love rutabaga (which we called "rootabeggar" when we were growing up!), too. We found a restaurant that serves it every day, and I love to go there occasionally. I have been able to convince my Hoosier HFS of the joys of okra cooked with tomatoes, or just plain fried okra. Got any okra in the garden??

mom said...

LOL, Bonnie! Nope, no okra! My mom loved rutabaga, too, and once in a great while I'll throw it in with a roast.

The kids were hankering for tacos which led me to trying this recipe since we wouldn't have to cut so many things up. But it would be easy to expand the basic nacho meat mixture from this recipe and add sour cream, lettuce, black olives, etc. YUM!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin