Monday, July 9

only a flea

"It's sobering to contemplate how much time, effort, sacrifice, compromise, and attention we give to acquiring and increasing our supply of something that is totally insignificant in eternity." ~ Anne Graham Lotz

Only a flea? Okay, many fleas! This morning I packed up the littles, middlers, and olders who were home to head to a weekly flea market in a neighboring small town. I think it's been a couple of years since we were there last. The weather had cleared and it was a perfect day to wander up and down the rows. There's always such a wide variety of items sold from newly crafted to antique to very unusual to junk. And I often heard whispered in my ear by my oldest daughter "we could make that so easily". HA! Oh, yes we could but the bigger question is WHEN could we make that so easily?!

Quite honestly, being there wasn't about acquiring more stuff, but about selling. There's a lot of things I've acquired that I don't want, but I have no idea what their value is right now to sell them. So, it was interesting to see what price various items were worth in a flea market setting. If I rented a space there some week, would it be worth all the time and effort? Or just an interesting way to meet people and lose money? Or should I instead have a garage sale?

The bottom line for me is that I want to simplify. My desire is for less. But how do I do that with a large family who have needs coming in the future? For example, we have about every size of ice skates in our garage from very small to adult sized. They do get used as the kids grow through them. We have all different types of books on our shelves because there are so many different reading tastes. Legos. Matchbox cars. Snowpants. Dishes. Dolls and their clothes. Tablecloths. Craft supplies. ETC. Really, I'm not certain if blogger could post the size of this list if I wrote it down as I went through the house as there would be pages of items!

So, yes, I have a bottom line, however I haven't yet figured out where to draw the line. And I'd like to figure out the line because as the quote above says, none of this stuff in my house has significance in eternity. People are what are significant. And if I don't have so much stuff to deal with I'll have more time for people, right?

Okay, this a topic I could ramble on for a long time, so I'm cutting it off here.

May you check your garden path for unnecessary clutter!

Blessings,
Tammy ~@~

P.S. So, you wanna know what I bought, right? The girls got some hair things and bracelets; one of the boys found a harmonica; a son-in-law bought a picture for a dollar; and I bought a book and an apron in a beautiful color :-)


1 comment:

MarlaQuack said...

Tammy, I love your blog! I so wish I could be closer to you. After spending a week in um, excess overload (a gaming convention)I am really trying to lighten things up here stuff wise.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin