Friday, July 6

passing on the cat

It is quite well known by those who know me that my style leans toward the natural. There are no lawn ornaments around here except bikes, balls, and barking dogs, and all the flowers seen in the yard are the real thing. Simple, minimal, and real, is kind of my philosophy. But, what is also quite well known about me is my sentimental tendencies.

Enter the cat.

Ever since I can remember visiting my in-laws' house, they had a white cat along their wall by the doorway. Actually, as she caught my eye recently when I was there packing up dishes, I don't think she was always alone, but my husband doesn't recall if there was another cat or two or not. There may even have been some butterflies or something above them. I'm not sure what happened to the rest. Somewhere in some old pictures it will be verified whether or not my memory is accurate. But that is really neither here nor there, eh?

When I was locking up their house to leave the last time, I pulled her down. She was part of the institution of Grandpa and Grandma's house and since we were carrying on the name, it just seemed right to pass the cat on. I checked with my husband's only brother to make sure he didn't want that white cat, but no, he had no interest in her. So, I washed her up and last night had my husband attach her to the garage wall by the door.

Now she resides at a new Grandpa and Grandma's house. The white cat will be a special marker when the grandchildren drive up that they are here. A symbol that life goes on. Generations of families continue. And I did notify my oldest son that someday the white cat would be his to adorn an outside wall....hehe!

Generations. I think of the chorus of a song by that name sung by Sara Groves - "Remind me of this with every decision. Generations will reap what I sow. I can pass on a curse or a blessing to those I will never know."

How often do we stop and consider how we are impacting future generations? When my husband and I married we had some painful things to work through from our childhoods that impacted who we were. Who we were then is not who we are today nor who we will be tomorrow. God's grace is enormous and healing. Our prayer is that we are sowing good seed and that as future generations reap from our influence they will be blessed.

"Great is the LORD and most worthy of praise; his greatness no one can fathom. One generation will commend your works to another; they will tell of your mighty acts." ~ Psalm 145:3-4 (and the rest of the Psalm tells of everything that can be shared with future generations)

May your impact be a blessing to future generations! And don't forget to pray for those yet to come as God honors those prayers, too!

Blessings,
Tammy ~@~

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin