Thursday, August 23

a cabin

Is there somewhere
--anywhere--
a little lonesome cabin
lost among the forests
on a wild, deserted shore;
an empty little cabin:
rough hewn, worn, and solid
with a dandy drawing chimney,
books, and windows--nothing more?
I'm tired of noise and traffic,
people pushing, phones and letters,
dates and deadlines, styles and headlines,
pride and pretense, nothing more;
and I'm needing such a cabin,
near God's masterpiece of mountains--
such a lost and lonesome cabin
where a tired soul can adore.

~Ruth Bell Graham

With the exception of the mountains, I could have written this poem in recent days. And when my husband came home late yesterday afternoon and mentioned that he had a handful of jobs to look at which would put us about thirty minutes from our little cabin in the woods...and wouldn't it be nice to spend the night there since there was nothing pressing for his work the next day, well, let's just say I didn't argue!

It's been very busy and there's much on our calendar in the days ahead. We both perhaps were feeling the drain of life. What a blessing it was to have a little unexpected retreat! Quiet, serene, peaceful, and an opportunity to catch up with one another without a single interruption. We are seeing the blessings of a new season of life in which we are able to do this without little ones needing our total and undivided attention plus adult children able to babysit. And more and more I'm seeing the benefits of these brief moments taken to nurture our relationship.

The picture was taken from the deck of the cabin as we were heading out. Good bye, lake! Hope to see you again soon!

May you, too, have quiet moments with your mate to refresh your relationship!

Blessings,
Tammy ~@~

4 comments:

Donna Boucher said...

Have you seen On Golden Pond?

It's a little sassy but I think very well written.

Ethel and her hubby go down to say good-bye to the lake.

Also...
Castaway is very good.

mom said...

Donna, I think all the rain you've had lately has made you think a lot about water! LOL! And yes, I do say out loud...good bye lake, good bye cabin, but that's just me :-)

I haven't seen On Golden Pond for years. It might be kind of neat to see it from an older perspective, eh?

Donna Boucher said...

Ha!
I didn't notice the water theme.
Even when i was praising God,
I was floating down a river of His will :o)

Ha!

And the water birth on baby story.

he he

mom said...

Oh dear! The water comments just keep pouring out of you, don't they?! hehe!

Wishing you peace like a river *grin*

Blog Widget by LinkWithin