Monday, August 20

I Want a Principle Within

Last spring our goal was to complete our schooling before the wedding in mid-May. Although the kids did quite well with that goal, I got busy with wedding details and never did get back to finishing my correcting :::gulp:::

Yesterday my graduate and I sat down to write out thank yous, finalize his senior pictures, make lists of what he needs to get together this week for his trip to college this coming weekend. In the process, I realized I hadn't finalized his transcripts and sent them off to college yet :::another gulp::: Basically everything was done except correcting a few of his final composition papers for English 12 to give him his final grade in that subject.

Today I finished it all up and will run into town yet this afternoon to drop his final transcript into the mail. A successful student bound on the next leg of his journey. A wonderful son leaving home :::sniff sniff::: Hey! I've done this before! Where are these sudden emotions coming from?

As I read through one of his memorized hand-written poems that needed to be graded this morning, it seemed like a good send-off thought for him. He does have a solid Christian foundation, a people loving personality, and did well out among the world through his growing up years. People knew where he stood and if he had a pet peeve, it would be youth who claimed to be Christians within the church's four walls, but didn't walk the talk when they left the building. My prayer is that he will be able to walk the talk as he leaves the walls of our home, that he will continue to have a sensitive spirit toward the Lord's leading and guiding in his life, and that he will make the faith he grew up with his own as he more fully understands God's grace, forgiveness, and abounding love. Anyway, here's the poem:

I Want a Principle Within

I want a principle within
Of watchful, godly fear,
A sensibility of sin,
A pain to feel it near.
Help the the first approach to feel
Of pride or wrong desire,
To catch the wand'ring of my will
And quench the kindling fire.

From Thee that I no more may stray,
No more Thy goodness grieve,
Grant me the filial awe, I pray,
The tender conscience give.
Quick as the apple of an eye,
O God, my conscience make!
Awake my soul when sin is nigh
And keep it still awake.

Almighty God of truth and love,
To me Thy pow'r impart;
The burden from my soul remove,
The hardness from my heart.
O may the least omission pain
My reawakened soul,
And drive me to that grace again
Which makes the wounded whole.

~Charles Wesley

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin