Monday, August 6

Welcome to Back to Homeschool Week

I've decided to participate in a blog event this week. Why? Hopefully to help encourage others, but to encourage myself! It's been such a busy summer with still so many things to do that I'm not ready for fall quite yet and getting into the regular routine of our household. All the books are here and kids are already starting in their favorite subjects while I'm out puttering in the garden! If you are interested in participating or just reading through everyone's posts this week, please go to the main page.

Monday, August 6---What led to your decision to homeschool?
Why do you do what you do? What brought you to homeschooling? What factors played a part in your decision?

My oldest had just completed kindergarten in the local public school when a friend mentioned to me that she was considering homeschooling her daughter. I had never heard of homeschooling until that moment in the spring of 1987 and was immediately intrigued by the possibility of such a thing. She recommended books for me to read on the topic and that summer kept me busy researching. A week before public school was about to begin, we made our decision to go ahead and try homeschooling, you know, a year at a time. And here we are today still homeschooling.

There were four main factor influencing our decision. One - My son had changed in undesirable ways in that half day year away from home. He had an attitude toward his younger siblings that had ventured from being best friends to ignored playmates. As soon as he got off the bus each day, he'd walk past his siblings warm greetings and ask to play at a friend's house. Oh, and the bus. Quite innocently he'd repeat things that he heard on the bus (which carried kindergartners through high schoolers). My mouth would drop open at the words he restated. YIKES! Plus he developed a heart of materialism and competition from being with peers. What happened to that sweet little boy? Two - I grew up wanting to be a teacher. I constantly played school with my dolls. I did go to college for one year for elementary teaching, but then my plans got side-tracked and I never returned to college. So, in a sense, God was answering a heart's desire of my own. Three - As rather new born again believers at the time, homeschooling seemed to be a wonderful way to instill a godly foundation in the lives of our children. We could incorporate God's word into every subject. We could pray. We could sing praises. We could serve. Our love for the Lord could be shared in every part of our children's life (Deuteronomy 6:4-9) Four - I was blessed to have my own mom home for much of my growing up years. My husband preferred that I was home full-time, too. And I knew such a commitment would keep me right where my heart longed to be with children whom I loved.

That was the start of our homeschooling journey. And our vision continues the same to this day. There are no words as a mother to describe what a blessing it is to know my kids on this level having been with them daily for so many years. Truly, my heart is full. Each one is so uniquely different and talented. Ohhh, there have been many challenges, trials, and sacrifices, but I wouldn't change any of it as I look back. The journey has been worthwhile and God has grown our entire family not just with homeschooling, but with everything we have encountered as a family together.

This fall our fourth leaves the nest as he ventures into college and I do believe that he, joining his older siblings out in the world, leaves with a foundation of faith in the Lord and the knowledge of his parents continued love and support. It is an exciting part of the process as you watch them enter the adventure of life the Lord has prepared for them!

Blessings,
Tammy ~@~

8 comments:

Tracy said...

It is amazing what they can learn on the bus, isn't it? (...and ours had a ONE MINUTE bus ride!)

I have enjoyed reading your post.
Thanks.

Beckyb said...

You said it so well - that was beautiful and MANY Of the reasons why we also homeschool! God Bless!!! You encourage me that you went all the way through high school - sometimes that's where I wonder - How much longer can I school them at home?? But so far, it's been good!!

Rebecca said...

Thank you! It is wonderful and encouraging to hear from someone who has seen the journey through from beginning to end.

Hilda Rebecca said...

Your story is so much like many others, including mine! I am about to become a Grandmother, too... I am very excited!
Hilda

randi---i have to say said...

It is not until the kids get older that the blessing of being with them so much, becomes so real. My oldest is one her own and doing very well and I cherish all of the days and hours we spent together!

mom said...

Thank you for your comments! I'm encouraged by each one of you :-)

Dana said...

Thank you for sharing your story. It is interesting that you note relational problems with siblings. I had never really thought about that aspect much, but then my children never have been in public school.

Where they are supposed to get their socialization. : )

momof3feistykids said...

It is wonderful to see a family who has successfully home schooled until college. Very encouraging!

http://tribeofautodidacts.homeschooljournal.net/

Blog Widget by LinkWithin