Tuesday, September 18

shhhh!

"There is hardly ever a complete silence in the soul. God is whispering to us well-nigh incessantly. Whenever the sounds of the world die out in the soul, or sink low, then we hear the whisperings of God. He is always whispering to us, only we do not hear, because of the noise, hurry, and distraction which life causes as it rushes on." ~ F.W. Faber

When I read this in my devotions this morning, it caused me to sigh. How come when you long for that quiet to hear the Lord, life is anything but quiet? In fact, at this moment the dog and kitten are wrestling around by my bed and although they are not speaking, their actions are distracting. It almost makes me long for :::whispering::: winter. Shhhh! Don't tell anyone I said that! It's not the frigid weather that is appealing, but the slower pace. The routine in place. No outdoor chores that I have to do. Going down by the woodburner in the early morning to get the fire going and sitting there to do my morning devotions curled up next to the cat who has slept there all night. Quiet. No rushing. Distractions at a minimum. Sighing again.

But just writing that paragraph is revealing to me. I want my quiet time to come easy, don't I? I don't want to have to work at it, do I? But relationships do take work and commitment and that includes our relationship with the Lord. It takes carving out daily time to spend with Him when there will be the fewest noises, distractions, and hurrying. Definitely a challenge for a mom of many! Yet hearing the whisperings of God makes the challenge not only worthy, but the benefits priceless.

May you, too, find quiet moments to hear God whisper to your heart!

Blessings,
Tammy ~@~

2 comments:

Charlene said...

I have been lurking and reading and enjoying your blog for about a month now. Yesterday someone tagged me with a You Make Me Smile Award. I tagged you as one who inspires me and makes me snile. That meant I had to post! You would have no idea "You make me smile"! Thanks!

mom said...

Thank you! You made me smile with your encouragement! I've never received a blog award before, so it is rather a surprise, especially for this category. I often wonder if my out loud ponderings are too serious...

With a blog, you never know who your readers are, so it's also nice to get to meet one of my readers whom I haven't met before :-)

Again, thanks, and have a great day!

Blessings,
Tammy ~@~

Blog Widget by LinkWithin