Sunday, October 28

the garden is done

Everything is out of the garden now so I gave my husband the heads up to till it. Ya, um, this probably isn't the common way people till their gardens, eh? You pictured a small rototiller that he'd walk behind, right? HA! Nope, he took down the end of the garden fencing and drove his backhoe right in there to till the garden big time. He threw in everything from the compost containers and some loose straw he had in his storage building, then away he went slowly working up the soil from one end of the garden to the other. Although thorough, this method tends to leave more ridges and rough rows (as well as pulling more rocks up into the garden!), so his next step to complete the tilling job will be to put the tiller attachment onto his Kubota tractor and do a finer plowing job. It will look real pretty when he's all done...and perhaps only a gardener can understand that real pretty thing. I really love it in the spring when he has just done it again right before planting and I get to walk in my bare feet in that warm soft soil...absolutely heavenly!

BUT, I confess :::whispering::: I'm thinking about taking a gardening break next summer. I've had a garden for 27 years and am considering throwing a bunch of alfalfa and other grass seeds into that soft spring soil and giving the garden a break and letting it nourish itself while it rests for a year. My garden is very time consuming, and yet very enjoyable. However, there's a lot of other things I've put on hold through the summer months for years because of all the time I spend gardening and everything that simple word means. Just considering it has me going back and forth and back and forth. Perhaps after a winter of praying and pondering, the decision will become more clear.

For now, I'll just be smiling as I look out my window at a job completed and completed well for this season!

Blessings,
Tammy ~@~

2 comments:

Our Family of Five said...

I absolutely love gardening.... though I'm limited to potted plants on the back porch/deck. One day I know I will have enough space to plant a *real* garden! But for now (I guess I should say the past few years) its tomato plants in large pots with thyme and basil in smaller ones. :)

Oh, and I didn't think it at all strange how your husband 'tills' your garden..... my dad does the same thing! :)

mom said...

At least you are able to garden a little bit. Even potted pots can fulfill that need to get our hands in the dirt!

And I'm glad I'm not alone in our unusual gardening tilling methods! LOL!

Blessings,
Tammy ~@~

Blog Widget by LinkWithin