Tuesday, October 23

the hot seat

Ohhh, the weather is becoming much more seasonable! Brrrrrr! As I shivered crawling out of bed to go walking at the high school, I questioned my sanity for leaving my cozy warm bed. It would be so so easy to say forgetaboutit, but I knew I would be unhappy if I didn't get moving as it is such a small window of opportunity in my day to exercise. So, out the door I went and was praising God for the blessing of having a car that I could flip a switch on that would provide me with a heated seat for my short trip into town (and I confess to reminding Him that next time I'd like a car that also had a heated steering wheel as I haven't yet dug out gloves and mittens and my hands were a'freezin'!). It was wonderful to feel the warmth in my car which the heated seat was a big part of enhancing. It was easy to jump out of the car and walk the short distance into the fieldhouse as I was warmed up already.

The hot seat.

Yesterday I read a statement in a book written by Ruth Bell Graham which stuck with me throughout my busy day - "Do I embrace today what shocked me yesterday?". Simple yet profound. It caused me to stop and consider many things about the lifestyle in our own household. There was nothing that caused me to consider radical change, but how easy things slide into our lives under the radar. Just the way the enemy likes it to happen. Look at the culture we live in now. How easily the enemy has softened our approach to sin. The things that were shocking 30 years ago or so are no longer viewed in that manner by our society. And yet God hasn't changed....

Perhaps it is necessary to take a regular inventory of the good, the bad, and the ugly, and then take the necessary steps to improve our lives - through obedience - to live more consistently by God's word. I need to get back to using a verse that showed up a lot in training my older kids - "Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable -- if anything is excellent or praiseworthy -- think about such things." ~ Philippians 4:8 As we consider our lifestyles, how many areas will easily fit those guidelines? There is no better time than today to pause and filter our lives through His word. Because....

The hot seat.

We will all sit before the Lord someday and give an accounting to Him of our lives. Somehow I don't think this hot seat will be as comfortable and cozy as the heated seat in my car on a frosty autumn morning. Not that we aren't forgiven, loved greatly, and totally acceptable to Him through the blood of Jesus Christ...but have we died to self and lived our lives in a manner to bring glory to Him with thanksgiving in our hearts?

How did that all come from getting up early to take a walk? Hmmm, guess it's on my mind this morning so you get to listen to my out loud ponderings....

As you walk along your garden path on this day, consider what you embrace in your life.

Blessings,
Tammy ~@~


2 comments:

Pam in Colorado said...

Great post. Very true.

My husband and I have started walking in the evenings after we put our little girls to bed. The older boys are here, so we go. I've missed the past 2 nights due to my tooth problems but I am going to see how it feels tonight while we start up again. It is a nice way to end the day.

mom said...

Oh, I do love walking outdoors in the evening during the warm months. It is a nice way to end the day :-)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin