Thursday, October 18

young and old at the same time

As I was walking on the high school fieldhouse track this morning, I was listening to the music they have piped in from a local radio station who plays classic hits. You know, oldies. Songs that I remember and am surprised at the words 30 years later. How we mindlessly sang things back then :::::shaking my head:::::

But as I was thinking back it reminded me of something I read in the news this past week - the 20th anniversary of the rescue of baby Jessica. Being a mom of three young kids at that time - one a toddler - the story had me riveted to the TV at the time. An eighteen month old toddler falling 22 feet down an eight inch well pipe. Who can forget the moment of rescue two and a half days later? I still remember sitting and crying knowing she was safely out. I wonder if my older kids remember any of it? Today she is a wife and mother of her own toddler.

Sheesh....does that ever make me feel OLD. The passage of time is so rapid...the blink of an eye. And yet the irony is in many ways I still feel young.

"It is magnificent to grow older -- if one keeps young while doing it." ~ Henry Emerson Fosdick

I personally believe - and please don't burst my bubble by telling me that I'm in lala land - that the hormones that flood your body through pregnancy and breastfeeding do have an anti-aging affect. Or maybe it's just that as you are pushing fifty those little ones in your house keep you young? Or maybe it all comes down to your mindset and thinking young? Being active? Challenging yourself mentally? Of course, all those things may contribute to feeling young, but then your body which is so so tired at the end of the day and which wakes up in the morning with aches and pains reminds you that you aren't as young as you think. Perhaps that is what keeps you more heavenly minded as you grow older - the promise of those heavenly bodies someday :-)

Whether young or old, my hope is that you will live each day fully as you walk with our timeless God!

Blessings,
Tammy ~@~

1 comment:

Cynthia said...

Love this post! I play with my 3 yr old and 7 old yr old boys and an hour later feel my body stiffening up :)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin