Wednesday, November 14

no more excuses



Last night after talking to someone, I was struck by something....excuses. Oh yes, as mothers we may hear lots of excuses all day long from our children about why they can't do something. But there is a topic that brings out excuses in mothers big time and it's that dreaded single word - EXERCISE. And that's what I heard last night as someone shared their *reasons* - yes, excuses - why they couldn't fit in exercise.

And yet, how can we deny this Scripture:

"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body." ~ I Corinthians 6:19-20

The last sentence is a command. Period. Some translations use the word "glorify" instead of honor. We are commanded to honor/glorify God with our bodies. And you know, God's commands aren't there to harm us, but to help us avoid pain in our lives. When we don't follow this particular command, what happens? Physically we feel like yuck, emotionally we are beaten down, spiritually we may be separated from God typically by our own choice, mentally we make up excuses. Blech, eh?

And I do understand. I've BTDT. A large growing family has consumed my life for many years and I could give a list of all the, um, *reasons*, I couldn't exercise. Instead of taking a walk after supper, I had to work on the laundry. Instead of playing baseball with the kids in the field next to the house, I had to clean up the kitchen. Instead of going on a bike ride, I had to clean out a closet. ETC. But guess what? After being a homemaker for so many years, I have found that there will always be work to be done within the home. It is never ending. But health? Are there any guarantees that once your kids are grown up you will be healthy? Chances are if you haven't taken care of yourself through the years, you may have some bigger health issues to deal with later. And you know what else? YOU are the only one who can take care of YOURSELF. No one else can do it for you. Not your husband. Not your children. Not your best friend. Only YOU.

So, you know what I say? JUST DO IT! Get up early before your husband leaves for work so he can watch the kids and you can take a walk or if you have gym facilities or a Curves close by, go there and work out. Take 30 minutes for a bike ride with the kids. Don't just watch the kids in the swimming pool, join them. Buy an exercise video to do at home or find used exercise equipment to put in your basement. Find a parking space at the end of the lot so you get some extra walking to the store. Use the stairs instead of the elevator. Be creative. JUST DO IT!

And reap the benefits by feeling so much better all around AND honoring/glorifying God at the same time :-)

May you be hopping, skipping, and jumping down your garden path today!

Blessings,
Tammy ~@~

8 comments:

lori said...

YOU are so right...NO EXCUSES...
I gave up on excuses a long time ago...either you do it or you don't...that goes for everything in life...
When I made it a priority..that is when things changed!!
What a GREAT post and the Scripture reference was perfect...no more excuses..
peace,
lori

AliceAnderson said...

What a great post. People do come up with some great excuses. My husband has a fabulous work ethic. He never gives excuses to his clients b/c he never needs to. But sometimes that work ethic cuts into our exercise time or our cooking time. And so the work becomes the excuse.

And at the end of the day, it all boils down to did you exercise or not? Did you cook dinner or pop a frozen pizza in the oven? Intentions might be great but they won't make you healthy.

pianopraise80 said...

Ok, Mom...I'm going to quit reading your blog! Every time I come here, you're talking about something that I had just thought that day I need to work on!! I had these exact same thoughts as I walked to the grocery store this morning! Thanks for the encouragement....I think. :-)

Love Bears All Things said...

Well, I got my toes stepped on! My excuse for not exercising first thing in the morning has been because of my One Year Bible reading and Bible Study homework. I will stop doing that. I can always find time during the day for the things I like to do.
Okay, I'll try harder.
Mama Bear

mom said...

Ohhh, Mama Bear, that is a much better habit to have! And it's mine, too :-) Devotional time with the Lord and exercising before the household is up and moving. But, I'm also an early bird which helps :-)

Keep your morning time just as it is for that holds more eternal value and squeeze in your exercising somewhere else in the day!

Blessings,
Tammy ~@~

ValleyGirl said...

You're so right! This is exactly what I've been challenging myself to for the last week.

Darlene said...

I'm so happy that Curves is at the end of my street. I drove by it for three years before finally walking in, and now I'm exercising 6 days a week there. I love it! Thanks for the great scripture reference to go along with your inspiration.

Denise said...

Amen, bless you dear one.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin