Wednesday, November 28

the brrrr holiday challenge


Winter is upon us where my family lives. My family loves to be active outdoors and thrive on snow and ice. It is not uncommon to hear loud "woo hoos" on a day where the snow is falling hard and heavy. Activities range from sledding to ice skating to broomball to hockey to cross country or downhill skiing to snowboarding to igloo building to, of course, much shoveling. But as I've gotten older, I really don't enjoy winter activities as much. I just don't like getting cold...period. I tend to opt for more of the sideline watching or inside the house baby watching. You know, by the warm fire :-)

But how essential it is for exercise to be a year around activity if we want to live well. I am thankful for indoor exercise options that I have nearby with my local Curves or walking in the early mornings at the high school fieldhouse. However, two days this week I balked at going to either one. The temperatures were in the teens, it was very windy and blustery outside my window, and snow was falling. I really really REALLY didn't want to leave the house. Remember, I don't like COLD. And yet, I knew I needed to go. The upcoming holidays are not only stressful and routine faltering, but they are filled with plenty of seasonal food temptations everywhere you go. Either one of those things are worthy of exercise, however when you put them together they make exercise essential for a
woman's well being.

Perhaps the best thing to do as we come into the holidays is to plan ahead as much as possible. Find a time when you can work in regular exercise. Plan lighter daytime meals when you have evening events which you know will have calorie laden tables at them. Better yet, on those days make sure you've drank your water quota for the day and have a big salad before you leave the house and your appetite will be curbed. Make wise choices when faced with so many options...relish trays instead of cookie plates. And the best option, commit your plan to the Lord asking for HIS HELP to keep it a healthy holiday season.

"A man's heart plans his way, but the LORD directs his steps." ~ Proverbs 16:9

To read about the journey of other Live Well participants, go here!

Blessings,
Tammy ~@~

6 comments:

ValleyGirl said...

I agree. I definitely need a routine in the winter because walking outside is usually not an option (not only because of the weather, but because hubby's gone pretty much all week and I can't leave the girls alone in the house while I go for a 2-mile walk) but I really hate my elliptical. I've just outlined a daily routine for myself -- now I just need to work on implementing it!

You must live closer to the Canadian border than a lot of the bloggers I know. The weather you described sounds quite similar to ours!! I absolutely LOATHE winter, though.

Crystal said...

Sounds like you have a great plan! Planning ahead is something I should do more of!
Thanks for visiting my site!
Blessings

Darlene said...

I could have written this post myself. My white world is exactly the same. It is freezing out here, and I have to clean the snow off of the car to get to curves down the street. :) Both Valleygirl and Crystal live fairly near here too. I don't like the cold at all. I definitely wouldn't be exercising outside, and I get my teenager to shovel the driveway. brrrr....

Christin said...

Planning ahead is an excellent idea! Being such a planner myself, I haven't put my mindset too much on planning out my eating habits. I'm so used to just eating whenever I feel like it (whether I'm hungry or not!)
I used to plan out my meal menus, but it became difficult for our budget, believe it or not. I just don't know what to do with menu planning at this point. The grocers don't really put the healthy stuff on real good sales like they do all the unhealthy stuff. And I don't know if anyone else noticed, but the cost of produce has gone up drastically -- at least in the U.S. I don't know if it's been different in Canada or not. But oranges are crazily priced! A gallon of orange juice costs $5.95! OUTRAGEOUS. We just have to do the best we can, I guess! Keep pressing on and making the Lord of your life your strength, and your plans will succeed!(Prov. 16:3)

lori said...

whimpy cold Georgia gal here...My walking partner is hiding inside and at 6 am it's just not safe! SOOOOO, what is a girl to do..I ride the bike or do pilates..not as much fun for me as 'getting outside' but it works!

I can't imagine YOUR winter...Buffalo and Chicago were enough for me...
but I really DO want to move to Montana...better toughen up, eh??
great post!
peace,
lori♥

Living Beyond said...

Plan ahead - excellent point and I love the verse you have choosen - that is my memory verse for the week. Thank you for your encouragement

Blog Widget by LinkWithin