Wednesday, December 5

an almanac of sorts

This morning during an ironing session, one of my daughters read me her history lesson for the week. The man of the hour...Benjamin Franklin.

Benjamin Franklin had come from a family of seventeen children. Suddenly our own family feels small! One of the things that I find neat about Benjamin Franklin was that he followed a passion he had - books and reading - by pursuing a profession that went along with this passion - printing and writing. Shouldn't that be one of the visions we should have as homeschool parents? To encourage our children in professions that will allow them to pursue their passions? And I can see how God worked that out in my own life when as a little girl I desired to be a teacher. My favorite thing to play was school with dolls lined up with books on their laps as I taught them on my little chalkboard. My dream to do that "when I grow up" was not dashed when I didn't complete college for God had a whole 'nother way of fulfilling that passion. Homeschooling my own children :-)

And although I've heard this reading about Benjamin Franklin seven times before, today I was struck by his annual publishing of Poor Richard's Almanack. It was his way to reflect the times through weather observations, poems, calendar notations, sayings and proverbs, astronomical and astrological predictions, even math exercises. Okay, I may not cover astrology at all, but as I thought about it, isn't my daily blogging a modern day form of almanacking? Look at the definition of almanac: an annual publication of miscellaneous information. That describes my blogging perfectly, only on a daily basis. Cool! I have something in common with Benjamin Franklin!

I leave you with one of his sayings which speaks directly to the season:

"How many observe Christ's Birthday; How few His precepts! O, 'tis easier to keep holidays than commandments." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Blessings,
Tammy ~@~


6 comments:

pianopraise80 said...

And this from a man that we're not even sure of his salvation....pretty convicting for those of us who are sure. Thanks for the food for thought.

P.S. I also would line up my dolls and give them books and play school. I think a good 5 years of my life was spent doing this. :-)

Love Bears All Things said...

Very good!
Mama Bear

Rose said...

Hi-Benjamin Franklin was such a unique person. I like his advice,"A penny earned is a penny saved." Then my favorite is,"Early to bed, early to rise, makes a man healthy, wealthy, and wise." When he was a teenager he pretended to be an old lady and had a column going in a newspaper-I think it was his cousin's or uncle's. I can't remember. What a great post! Blessings, Rose

Charlene said...

I too played school with stuffed animals and dolls. I played librarian, numbering and cataloging my books. I literally spent hours doing this. When I was a little girl I wanted to be a Mom, teacher and librarian. I didn't go to college and like you God still pulled all those things together!

My littlest is 14 - one thing I do know. I didn't have enough kids!

Jessie said...

My daughter will be starting research on Benjamin Franklin next week. It was so nice to run into this post!

mom said...

Ahhh, but Charlene you do! Anyone involved in youth ministry ends up with lots of "adopted" big kids who will stay in touch with you for a long time :-)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin