Saturday, December 1

homeschool blog awards nominee

For those who are visiting here for the first time, it seemed like a good idea to give a brief summary of our homeschooling journey. It began in the fall of 1987 when our oldest child was in first grade and there were three younger siblings. A month after that oldest child graduated from college, his youngest sibling and our ninth child, was born. She remains our youngest and is unofficially in preschool...okay, she likes to color and write at her whim :-) Currently we have four that are officially homeschooling - a third grader, a fifth grader, an eighth grader, and a tenth grader - the most at one time was six students with a preschooler and baby in the mix. Those were mighty crazy busy years, yet what a joy it was at the same time having them altogether and seeing the bond they have now.

Back in the early years, homeschooling totally consumed us and was our life. It transitioned through the years blending into our family and now homeschooling is just part of our daily life. There is still delight in a little one learning to write their name, a young one figuring out reading, a middler mapping the world with faraway places, a high schooler mastering algebraic equations. As you give them the tools in the beginning, learning comes alive and grows not only up into high school, but all through life.

We still get calls from people in the community who talked to so and so who knows so and so who knows us and is looking for information about starting homeschooling. Or moms who are struggling with an area of homeschooling with their grade schooler and figures I must have experienced the same thing with at least one of mine and seek advice. Or parents working through high school curriculum and wondering how to pursue college. My role has transitioned from learning everything I could about homeschooling to becoming an encourager to other parents coming along the way. And it has been a delight to use my own experiences to help others as well as a ministry as God has grown my faith through the years.

May you be encouraged as you walk down the challenging path of homeschooling!

Blessings,
Tammy ~@~

1 comment:

Our Family of Five said...

I see now what I did, I meant to comment on this and actually commented on the post linking to this. I'm sorry for the mix up. When I said I was encouraged I meant by your homeschooling story. I hope you've had a great Monday! :)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin