Saturday, December 8

like the hands of a clock

"Boys do not grow up gradually. They move forward in spurts like the hands of clocks in railway stations." ~ C. Connolly

We've had a spurt here.

Since the boys have come back from their trip, many people have commented about how much our youngest son has sprung up. Seeing him all the time, it has been harder for me to actually notice with the exception that we seem to be eye to eye. Ahhh, but others are telling me it isn't an eye to eye thing. That it must be an illusion to myself since he's noticeably taller than me. Okay, so that isn't that hard to do since I am vertically challenged.

But yesterday morning. We were doing our weekly spelling tests down by my ironing board when he came for a shirt. This is a boy thing at our house. Come to the laundry area. Pull one shirt off and throw it in the hamper. Pull a shirt out of your laundry basket and throw it on. Iron? What's an iron? Apparently the boys love that slightly wrinkled look :-p~ Anyway :::thud::: that's when I noticed that he looks skinny! Gone is that boyhood roundness and friendly pudge! It's happened with each of his four older brothers as they hit the early teens and their first growth spurt. They went from boys to young men in the blink of an eye!

What's a mother to do? Two in one week. The youngest daughter and the youngest son. Both suddenly growing up! I'm afraid to look in the mirror as perhaps I've suddenly aged as quickly and have a full head of gray hair now! Yikes!

Ah, the seasons of life...count it all joy, my friend :-)

Blessings,
Tammy ~@~

2 comments:

Tammy said...

"Iron? What's an iron?" No really, what is it? ;)

My iron only gets used for steaming my knitting.

mom said...

LOLOL! I'm beginning to think I'm the only person in the world who absolutely loves ironing!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin