Wednesday, December 12

the roaring lion



Late last summer when we were meeting with other team members as we prepared to lead a marriage Bible study, I recall our pastor forewarning us of possible spiritual warfare as the enemy wouldn't be happy with what we were doing....encouraging others to strengthen their marriages. And indeed the attack came to my husband and I unseen and hard enough to knock our relationship momentarily off its feet.

Late last weekend I was thinking about that same warning as I began to recognize the enemy at work again, but in a different area of life....encouraging others to live well. Same thing happened as the attack was unseen and knocked me off my feet on a path I was doing well while traveling.

Remember that weird klutzy moment of "thunking" my hand hard going out the door after doing my hour walk last week and how it threw me off the rest of the day because I really didn't feel well? I wrote about that the next day, Live Well Wednesday, and was so challenged all that day and the next day and the next day and the next day in taking my own advice. Typically if I fall off my living well wagon, it's on something my sweet tooth craves. Nope, not this time. A 9 x 13 pan of taco dip was the first lure. Mindless eating was the entrapment. The kids had it out and were chitter chattering away as they chipped and dipped and there I was chipping and dipping with the best of them! And it had a snowball effect. The final blow was eating a Mexican burrito which was way too spicy hot for my snowland tastes which gave me a good case of indigestion for two days. Let's say I really really really felt like blech. And then I really realized what was happening!
"Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. Resist him, standing firm in the faith...." ~ 1 Peter 5:8-9b

That's right...RESIST!...STOP!...STAND FIRM...YOU CAN DO IT! When I finally recognized what was happening and how defeated I was becoming - and he is a sly devil, isn't he - I was able to do just that...resist...stop...stand firm! And you can, too!

He doesn't want us encouraging one another to exercise or eat in ways that would be healthy or to drink enough water or to share other tips for living well and he for sure doesn't want us giving glory to God for helping us do those things.

So, I say we all :-p~~ the enemy and o/^ (high five) one another for the progress we've made with God's help! WE CAN DO IT!

Follow the progress of other Live Well participants here

Blessings,
Tammy ~@~

6 comments:

Rose said...

I agree-we need to put on the full Armor of God everyday to stand firm against the enemy. I had a cold this week and all I wanted was chocolate and ice cream for my sore throat. I was vulnerable and Satan knew it! Now I still have a cold and cough but i am back in the game and fully on track. Thank you so much for your encouraging post. Blessings, Rose

Angela @ Refresh My Soul Blog said...

Great post! that is so true. Lifting up a prayer as we all walk this journey together.
Blessings,
Angela

Charlene said...

My goal this week (I began last Friday)has been to eat 5 servings of fruits and vegies each day. Yesterday was the first day I hit FIVE and I felt like celebrating. I have such a hard time choosing these foods instead of saltier options!

Today I'm at FOUR so I should be able to make it.

Besides not desiring the fruits and vegies I also run out of them at home, which requires a trip to the store AGAIN!

Thanks for your encouragement today!

ValleyGirl said...

This is a great post, Tammy. It's so true -- the minute we put ourselves out there and declare something to the world, the devil will make it harder for us to live up to our resolutions. I don't know that I've ever actually thought of it that way before. Makes me really feel like beating him though!

Darlene said...

Sorry I'm late! But I'm here with my high five! This really spoke to me this week, and I'll be sharing it with my friend (Candace). Thanks.

By the way, where it reads "post a comment" it's white writing. Maybe it's just my browser? I wonder if some other women can't find it perhaps. I highlighted the area, to get the negative effect and then I saw it. I think other weeks I went back to the main blog URL and then it reads "post a comment" there and I got in. Just my thoughts... Hope you don't mind my two cents!

mom said...

Darlene, I appreciate you mentioning what you've had happen with my comments. I did check it on my computer by following the link I left at CWO directly to my Live Well Wednesday post of this week. On my computer the "post a comment" shows up in a shade of purple. When my computer son comes home over the holidays I'll have to ask him about it - he is ohhh so patient with his mom and her computer. My thought is it may just be a browser issue?

Blog Widget by LinkWithin