Tuesday, January 22

on to second semester

Yesterday with paper and pen in hand, I sat down with my son to get his second semester class and work schedule as he will be heading back to college sometime at the end of the week. After noting those schedules, it was time to remind him that he hadn't yet shared his first semester grades with us. Fear and trepidation filled his face. I anticipated much much worse than what he shared with me (and I will not share them here since my life would be endangered!).

His grades were typical of the first semester of adjusting to leaving home and learning a whole new educational structure after being homeschooled all his life. Much has been learned in those few months and he's looking at second semester with a whole different approach. He has a plan of action which should work very well.

As we spoke, it brought back to my mind "why" we homeschool. To provide a solid educational experience for our children, but even more to provide a solid Biblical foundation in their lives to carry them through a life time of maturing. So looking at the spiritual aspect in my college son's life, it is evident that he is continuing on a path of growth there, also. He's involved in the campus InterVarsity program becoming more involved in a leadership role during second semester as well as being committed to a weekly Bible study. We have talked frequently about the *folly* of youth his age as they engage in easy philosophies as the world so smoothly - and deceivingly - draws them and then causes them to stumble in the end. He believes that college will either make or break someone's faith. Makes sense to me. Either the foundation is strong or it isn't.

So as we prepare this week to get him organized to go back for second semester, there's a bit more ease in the process. He goes back with a plan of action giving him more confidence going into the classes he'll have this semester AND his other instruction manual - God's Word - is still solidly in place.

Something else will continue as well. Just as my daily prayers for him in college began the moment we left him at that brick building on a hot day in August, they will continue daily as we send him off on a frigid day in January.

"I thank my God upon every remembrance of you, always in every prayer of mine making request for you all with joy, for your fellowship in the gospel from the first day until now, being confident of this very thing, that He who has begun a good work in you will complete it until the day of Jesus Christ." ~ Philippians 1:3-6

Go and grow, my son!

Blessings,
Tammy ~@~

2 comments:

Donna Boucher said...

This is such a great post Tammy.
How I love seeing you and your very adorable son!

Could you write and tell me where he goes to college?

He was a good boy to share his grades with you. I'm glad he is doing well!

So cute!!!

mom said...

Thanks, Donna! Yes, I will email you when I get over to visit you later today and get your addy :-)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin