Wednesday, January 23

a sweet dilemma



Ahhh, yes....what to do about those love languages that others speak?


This is my husband's slow season of work which means he's around home more right now. His schedule is relaxed so he can hibernate a bit longer in the mornings, eat at regular meal times with us, snick snack a LOT more, and wander in and out of the house throughout the day. It's nice having him around more :-) I especially like that he can run my errands for me because he actually enjoys being out in this frigid cold weather. Crazy, I know!

Oh, but then there's his love language.


Gifts.

I'm not talking big things for the most part. I'm talking little things. And during his off season while running errands for me, he returns with gifts. Like, "Honey, I got you one of those special dark chocolate candy bars that you like so much" or "Look, I got us both a concrete malt while I was out" or "When I stopped to get milk, I picked up some doughnuts, too, and got you a custard filled one!". What a SWEETheart, right?

Yes, his heart is in the right place. But his gifts are going to the wrong place as they add pounds to my body! YIKES!


So, I had to talk to him a bit about his love language which has felt like, well, like sabotage. Honestly, he just never thought about it in that way at all. I mean, for years this was an okay thing for him to do for me. I enjoyed every morsel! But, no longer as my habits have changed and my heart's desire is to Live Well. I thanked him for wanting to bless me, but told him he didn't need to buy something separate for me. I'd be just as happy as a bug in a rug if he bought a treat for himself and offered me a bite. A bite is easy to accept or reject. And I will feel just as loved.

"Husbands, in the same way be considerate as you live with your wives, and treat them with respect as the weaker partner and as heirs with you of the gracious gift of life......" ~ I Peter 3:7

Now THERE is a gift that it is a delight to share! The gracious gift of life through Jesus Christ!

Follow the journey of other Live Well participants HERE

Blessings,

Tammy
~@~

9 comments:

Angela @ Refresh My Soul Blog said...

That is so sweet. I am so glad you were able to talk that through and work it out. May you continue to live well!
Blessings,
Angela

Kathleen Marie said...

I had to laugh! My hubby came home about a week ago or so with a giant Hersheys with Almonds. I didn't quite know what to say. I think he was rewarding me because I had been doing so well.

We had a somewhat similar chat. I think from now on I'll be getting flowers ☺

Darlene said...

My brother in-law is the same. He's such a sweet guy and he's always buying gifts for my sister. But now that she's lost 20+ pounds, he bought her a water bottle and a watch to monitor her heart. Stuff like that.

I think my husband just gets confused. Some weeks I want chocolate other weeks I'm not eating any. He can't keep track anymore. LOL

Karen said...

That is incredibly sweet! How can you say no when a man brings you chocolate or a doughnut espcecially a custard filled doughnut!! It is good that you could talk to him though! By the way I am envious of your snow! Have a great week!

Shannon @ Gabi's World said...

What a great post! I have to tell you I laughed because I think we are living similar lives. My husband has worked 2 days since the week before Christmas since his business slowed down, too. Just the other day, he had to have a smoothie (even in the snow) and of course, I got one too!

Jessie said...

Oh this was too funny!!

Great post!

Love Bears All Things said...

Wow, he's a man after my own heart. That is one of my languages of love. I think I'd just have to accept them and take a bite or two and through the rest away or better yet ask if he'd like the rest.
Papa Bear has brought me chocolates a few times, mostly he brings flowers. Wild flowers or a single rose from the yard but it is love just the same.
Valentines Day is coming up as is our anniversary. I would love some flowers.
Hope you have a great week. I loved reading your post.
Mama Bear

mom said...

:::::thunking my head on my desk:::::

My sweet husband brought home TWO snicker bars today! You know, for tonight when we feel like snacking, he said! LOL! At least he stuck them into the freezer so they are out of sight out of mind for this mama :-)

Blessings,
Tammy ~@~

Living Beyond said...

First of all let me add my 'that's sweet" comment. I have to tell you that I learned a bad habit early on in marriage. If my man was going to the store and he asked me what I wanted if I said a Kitkat - that's what I got BUT if I said I don;t know you choose WELL I got a Kitkat, a Snickers, an Areo and Smarties!! because he couldn't decided lol I played on that for a few too many years - hence my living well. lol

I pray you can get back into your routine soon. Stay strong and be courageous lol I enjoyed your post.

Blessings
Shelley

Blog Widget by LinkWithin