Wednesday, January 16

time to GO

The other day as I was going into the store I caught my reflection in the glass of the door and it caused me to pause for a moment. Take a second look. Think with new eyes. Make a decision. Step through the door.

Time for the coat to GO!

The coat I've been wearing for the past two winters was my mom's coat. When it was offered to me, I took it since my mom and I had been basically the same size. Perhaps it was the fur around the collar that made me enjoy it so much or perhaps it was just knowing in my heart that it had been my mom's that made it dear. But the other day I was struck with the reality that it was just too big anymore. And when I got home from the store that day that very fact was confirmed with the *large* on the tag.

Time for the coat to GO!

Over the past two years I have lost thirty pounds. What has been interesting is other people's observations. It wasn't until this past fall that suddenly people were commenting about how much weight I had lost. To me it wasn't profound because it has been a slow and steady process over that time period and I had gradually been getting used to the newer me. But something else changed this past fall. My wardrobe.

Time for the coat to GO!

Being either pregnant or breastfeeding for almost 25 years of my married life, my wardrobe consisted of a wide range of sizes to accommodate that season of life. Loose fitting. Elastic waists. Baggy. Or as my kids would tell you without a blink of their eye...frumpy! That wardrobe didn't change over the past two years while I was losing weight. So, this fall I began updating my wardrobe a bit with clothes that actually fit me.
Clothes that I enjoyed wearing. Clothes that were actually :::gulp::: in style. And what a difference it made!

Time for the coat to GO!

So, let me encourage others on this Living Well journey who are losing weight in the process to step down into clothes that fit your new size! It is an encouragement to actually SEE the change in yourself and will be positive incentive to keep on keeping on! Second hand stores can be a great source for updating your wardrobe as you work toward your goal.

"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!" ~ II Corinthians 5:17

Anyone need a coat? :-)

To follow the journey of other Live Well participants, click HERE

Blessings,
Tammy ~@~

10 comments:

Noel said...

30 pounds?? wow!! congratulations! I knew you were losing, but I didn't realize it was that much. you're amazing!

I've taken a brief break after the wedding, but am now resolved to get back into that constant exercise mode. With the freezing weather, it's hard!

uhm, I still wear a large, and always will. wanna send that coat to me? I need one...

Love Bears All Things said...

30 pounds is great. I have done the same thing as you. People cannot tell your real size when you wear oversized clothes. Sometimes its just time to break out of the cocoon.
Going down a size won't be a problem for me because I've kept the jeans and slacks from when I was at goal a few years ago. I keep wanting to try them on but its too soon. But in a few weeks, wow, I'll have new clothes to wear.
Mama Bear

mom said...

Noel, it's yours! Seriously! I'd rather give it away to someone I know than put it in a box for the thrift store.....

pianopraise80 said...

You know...I thought the same thing when we were up, but I didn't say anything b/c I knew it was Grandma's and thought that was why you were wearing it. :-)

I "borrowed" it when I went yarn hunting in the schoolhouse :-) and it IS warm and comfy!!! But if it fits a 8 month pregnant woman--you're right--time for a new one for you!!

ValleyGirl said...

Congratulations on NEEDING a new wardrobe!!! How exciting! This is a great post -- very encouraging.

Darlene said...

You look frumpy and CUTE in that coat. Can we see the new coat? ;)

30 pounds is like carrying one of my boys around 24/7.

mom said...

Ah, yes, I considered keeping the coat for pregnant family members...however God has been whispering to me about my sentimentality, possessions, and simplifying, soooo, I guess you'll have to wear Dad's coat while hunting for yarn!

New coat? Nope, not this year. I have a couple of older coats the next size down that I can wear for the rest of this winter. I'm hoping for a new coat NEXT winter :-)

Blessings,
Mom...Tammy ~@~

Angela @ Refresh My Soul Blog said...

Wow-great job taking it off. I am hoping to be able to say the same thing-I know it is slow and steady.
Good job taking it off. And yes the coat does need to go. It is very big on you! You go girl!
Much love,
ANgela

Donna Boucher said...

Yay!

Darling picture.
Great accomplishment!

You inspire me.

Shannon @ Gabi's World said...

Yeah it's definately too big for you! Time for a new coat for the new you!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin