Wednesday, March 26

a good work



Still studying in the first chapter of Philippians in our women's Bible study early this morning, we finished up chewing over verses three through eleven. The verse that caught my eye today was verse six: "being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus."

A good work? What? Sometimes it doesn't feel like such a *good* work. Sometimes it feel like hard painful work as God works in our hearts. Sometimes it feels like frustrating work when old habits resurface. You know, like Easter candy. Most Easter candy doesn't interest me because I don't like chewy gooey stuff like jelly beans or peeps or gummy whatevers. Chocolate, well, I can even bypass that since I don't have to buy myself a bunny and I don't give the kids any other chocolate treats. Oh, except for those Cadbury cream eggs and I didn't even think twice when I popped the extra ones into MY mouth! Whoa! How did THAT happen?! I've been so conscious of what I'm eating and how I'm eating, but those Cadbury eggs didn't even cause me to skip a beat. Old habits and good work?

But it was a good work as it did cause me to STOP and THINK and REMEMBER that I'm a work in process. It's a continuing process. And it won't be completed until I meet Jesus Christ face to face. And that's okay. He's right there with me each step.

And as frustrated as I was with eating those extra Cadbury eggs AND with a scale that has leveled out for a few months now, there was encouragement on my path. For yesterday I needed to look something up in my journal from a year ago and saw that I was ten pounds heavier back then. Hey, I have made progress! A good work has been done and will continue to be done. I'm in a much healthier place this year than last year. It's all a matter of perspective, isn't it?

May you, too, be able to look back and gain perspective as you see how the Lord has worked in your life over the past year. Truly, it is a good work!


To follow the journey of other Living Well participants, go HERE

Blessings,
Tammy ~@~

4 comments:

Darlene said...

I'm so glad that you were able to see the progress! Little by little it's adding up, Slim.

ValleyGirl said...

Yeah, I've decided to not allow myself to get discouraged just because I don't see results from one week to the next. In fact, I've quit weighing myself altogether. I think after years and years and years, it's just become counter-productive. I've changed my focus from specifically losing weight, to changing my overall lifestyle with regards to eating and physical activity. It'll take a lot longer because progress is much slower, but it's progress nonetheless, and I think it's much more likely to become a lifelong change this way.

We are on our way!!

Bobbie said...

Oh, I completely understand about those little cream eggs and the bad habits resurfacing.... I am so glad that you can look back in the journal and see progress! That is a wonderful sign... and next year when you look back again, you will also see progress. Little by Little- Its a process!

Angela @ Refresh My Soul Blog said...

I am glad you can see progress too. It is a step to realize that. I had an issue with Cadbury too and did not even really realize that it was bad until now. Okay maybe deep down I knew and did not want to admit it! :) But progress is progress. Keep it up because with HIM all things are possible.
Much love,
Angela

Blog Widget by LinkWithin