Wednesday, April 30

make it stick



Over the past couple of years I've been learning new things on my Living Well journey which have become good habits. One thing that was important for me to address was the whole mindless eating problem. Being home full time with a houseful of kids means there is a lot of food consuming going on through the day. Perhaps if there were only one or two children who only occasionally graze, I'd be fine. But there's a lot more of us who have been living here through the years and everyone is grazing at different times. And since I'm in the kitchen most of my day because we do a lot of schooling in that location, I was constantly around food while everybody grazed. Not a good thing.

They grazed, I grazed.

They grazed and stayed skinny, I grazed and grew rounded.

See the problem? Once I recognized that problem, I began addressing it. It didn't happen overnight, but it took time as I began eating only when I was actually hungry instead of eating just because three other people were munching through a bag of tortilla chips. AND if I did truly recognize hunger when they were doing their munching, I'd count out how many chips, etc. were a serving size and slowly eat them. Or I'd find a healthy alternative to eat. Checking hunger levels and serving sizes were good steps to take in order make permanent habits in my living well journey.

Do I always do it perfectly? Nope! The other night I came home from a church meeting and as I was processing the meeting while talking to my husband I was mindlessly eating the puppy chow on my counter. YIKES! As I was licking my fingers and getting ready for the next handful, I caught myself! Hungry?
Nope. Serving size? Nope. STOP! YES! Whew, not too much damage done.

Remember, Living Well doesn't just happen. It means establishing new habits one by one that you make "stick" in your life. And more importantly, it's committing the plan to God as you enlist His help.

"Commit to the LORD whatever you do, and your plans will succeed." ~ Proverbs 16:3

To follow the journey of other Living Well participants, go HERE

Blessings,
Tammy ~@~

5 comments:

Honest to Ya~Ya said...

I'm bad for mindless grazing...I'm at home alone a lot and I think I do it out of shear boredom!

I hope you mean that puppie chow that you make with peanut butter, cereal and confectioners sugar...I luv that stuff!
The other kind I can pass on...LOL!

Have a great day!☼

mom said...

Yup, that DELICIOUS kind of puppy chow (and don't forget the melted chocolate chips!) YUM! And it's all Donna's fault over at Quiet Life for posting pictures on her blog that caused many to run to their grocery stores for ingredients! LOL!

Blessings,
Tammy ~@~

Karen said...

Those are good reminders. I remember how shocked I was when I realized what a portion size really was! And unfortunately, there are still some days when I just don't care. But hopefully not too often. Thanks for the encouragement.

karen

Denise said...

Wonderful advice sweetie. Wishing you much success.

Marsha said...

I know what you mean about mindless grazing.

I love what you said, "Remember, Living Well doesn't just happen. It means establishing new habits one by one that you make 'stick' in your life." That is so key - one by one. To try and change the whole mindset all at once is just too much for or finite minds. I like the approach of mastering one thing at a time.

Thanks for this post!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin