Thursday, April 24

mistaken identity

Yesterday I saw the car!

Okay, let me explain.

A friend recently shared with me that he had regularly seen a car that looked exactly like mine and thought it must be me. But it didn't make sense to him at the time of day that he was seeing it out and about or where it was out and about because he knew we were homeschoolers that stick close to home during the day. And, he was astounded at how fast *I* was always traveling :::chuckle::: However, a couple days before he shared this with me, he saw the car pulled over by a cop which he assumed was for speeding and thought to himself that *I* had gotten caught. Lo and behold when he drove by the stopped vehicles, he caught a good glimpse of who was driving and it was NOT me! Whew!

But later it did cause me to think more about how we see or hear things which we believe to be true, but actually aren't. And how often we share those things with others as truth, but they aren't truth. They are just observations that may or may not be factual.

So, he could have shared with others that he had often seen me driving rather fast which may or may not be true. OR perhaps he had been in my car and saw close-up that my speedometer said 55 MPH in a 30 MPH zone and then made the observation that "Tammy is a speedster and is headed for a ticket!" THAT would be an observation of fact.

The point is that we need to be careful in what we share with others about others. First hand observations tend to be more accurate, but even with that we may not be totally basing our opinion on fact. There may be other circumstances that surround a situation that we aren't even aware of when we form our opinion.

Am I guilty in this respect? Absolutely! Yikes!

"The words of a gossip are like choice morsels; they go down to a man's inmost parts." ~ Proverbs 18:8

Help me, Lord, to speak truth in love that I may be an encouragement to others!

And may there NOT be others in town who through observation of that *other car* think *I'm* a speedster!

Blessings,
Tammy ~@~

6 comments:

pianopraise80 said...

All they need to do is observe the wagon en route to Chicago, eh?!?? :-D

mom said...

Tsk, tsk! Obviously basing an opinion on rumor and not first hand observation, eh?

*wink*

Honest to Ya~Ya said...

Lesson learned! ☺

Great Post, Tammy!!♥

linda said...

I just found your site through the bloggy giveaways...and wanted to thank you for this gentle reminder. It is so hard to hold your tongue but I know I'm always so happy and grateful when I do!

Audra Marie said...

I just wanted to say that your blog is wonderful. Would it be okay if I added your link to my blog?

Here's the url in case you'd like to check it out first: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/sixshortofadozen/

mom said...

Hey Audra :-) Welcome to my blog! I couldn't track down an email address for you (there could be one but I can't figure it out!), sooooo, I appreciate you asking first and am fine with you adding my link! You have a beautiful family, btw :-)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin