Wednesday, April 9

a silly walk



The last couple of weeks I've been watching the weather for an important reason - I was entered in a local 5K race that raised money for local organizations. Silly me. Why did I sign up again? It was still winter here!

Last year was the very first year of this event and it was also the first race I had ever entered as a walker. I knew there was no way I was in prize worthy form, but I enjoyed the challenge of getting in shape to walk it. Plus last year I had some goals to meet before my daughter's wedding in May.

This year the same people talked to me about doing it again. They didn't have to coax too much as I did enjoy it last year. So I signed up and watched winter NOT go away. Our snow wasn't gone so I had no opportunity to walk outside on our roads with the natural little hills.

The night came and the weather held steady with no precipitation (rain maybe mixed with snow was in the forecast), so actually the temperature was perfect. Oh, yes, did you catch the part about "night came"? Did I forget to mention that this race begins at 12 A.M.? Yup, just another challenge for an early bird mom! Plus there were over twice as many participants this year which made it more crowded. The course was just a little bit different and even included some very slippery snow on one part of the trail as we went through the woods. Not to worry as we had our flashlights to help us avoid the worst of the snow and all the puddles besides! Yup, you heard me right. We needed flashlights for almost the entire course :-)

Challenging? Yes! Fun? Definitely! Will I do it again? Most likely!

And the bonus? I cut my time by two minutes and thirty-three seconds from last year! Woo hoo!

Sometimes throwing something new into the mix of Living Well can be a boost to the morale. Especially at the end of a long winter. Rejoice, I say!

To follow the journey of other Living Well participants, go HERE

Blessings,
Tammy ~@~

8 comments:

Marsha said...

I love this post! What an inspiration. I can't wait until I can walk in a 5K!

Love Bears All Things said...

Sounds like a wonderful "end of winter" activity. Congrats on your time improvement. I think walking at night like that would be very enjoyable. Hubby and I have taken some winter night walks and always felt so quiet and peaceful out there. I wish I were a morning person, I would get up and walk just as dawn was breaking. I've done this a few times and my commune with God was so rewarding. Alas, that is a big challenge for me, getting myself out of bed and on the move first thing of a morning.
Blessings this week as you continue to find ways to live well in mind, body and spirit.
Mama Bear

Angela @ Refresh My Soul Blog said...

Wow-that sounds very interesting! I am so glad you had fun and beat your time-way to go!
BLessings,
ANgela

Bobbie said...

Sounds like a challange! Walking in the snow! At night! with woods! With flashlights! I am not so sure I could have done this! It must feel great to complete such a challange.

ValleyGirl said...

Sounds like a fun walk!! Congratulations on cutting last year's time ~ and without really being 'ready!'

Kathleen Marie said...

I am just praising God I can walk again. I would love to do this...what a great challenge. This sounds like fun! Hugs!

Becky said...

Thanks for sharing! I am going to walk an MS 5K in September in honor of my sister who is living with the disease. Thanks for the inspiration!

Darlene said...

12 am is perfect time for me! :)

That sounds so fun. I'm glad that you enjoyed it.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin