Wednesday, May 21

only your hairdresser knows?


My initial resistance to getting my hair cut from long to short was two-fold. First, I was afraid that I'd have a hairstyle that would need a lot of daily putzing which I didn't have time for and instead preferred a wash and go style. That concern was immediately taken care of when my gentle waving long hair became the natural curly short hair which has been so easy to manage. My second concern was the need for regular haircuts to keep the shape of the cut which has been a minor thing to deal with since I can unprofessionally trim my bangs if they get too crazy in my face and the rest can wait until I see my hairdresser. In other words, when my oldest daughter and I get together and she cuts my hair :-)

While I was able to spend some time over at my daughter's place last week, she took some time and gave me a much needed haircut. But before we even got to that part, as we were walking from our cars outdoors to the door of the salon where she works, she made me stop. She ran her fingers through my hair. And a comment like, "Oh, Mom!" came out of her mouth. Goodness, I was afraid of what she was going to say next! She told me that she had to stop and actually look at my hair to see if what she was seeing was just the sunlight on many blonder hairs or if it was....actually....gray. Well, now more than just my hairdresser knows. You know now, too, that I have more gray coming into my hair.

How did that happen? I still *feel* young. People tell me that I look like one of my kids. I can't be getting THAT old, can I? YIKES!

Of course, she enjoys working with hair and would LOVE to do some highlights or lowlights or whateverlights to make these grays a little less noticeable. But you know what? I'm comfortable with these changes in my hair. I believe that I'm taking good care of myself and by doing so hope to say I'm aging gracefully. Isn't that part of Living Well, too?

After all, it is not what is on the outside, but it is what is on the inside that counts. And that matter was confirmed to me this morning when during our devotions our Old Testament chapter was First Samuel 16. It tells about Samuel as he traveled to Bethlehem to find Jesse and to anoint one of Jesse's sons as the next king of Israel. Every son who was seen as a possibility by Samuel was turned down by the Lord. And the Lord said to Samuel in verse 7b: "Man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart."

Ah yes, the heart. The gray hairs are meaningless. What holds meaning to God is the condition of my heart. Is it actively seeking God daily? Is it spending time with Him in His Word, in prayer, in worship? Is it seeking to be so filled by Him so that He can overflow from my heart into the lives of others? Those are the kinds of words I need to meditate on regularly to be Living Well.

How about you? How's your Living Well journey going this week? Are the gray hairs bringing you down or is the Lord lifting you up?

To follow the journey of other Living Well participants, go HERE where Lori is hosting the day while Darlene is enjoying a cruise :-)

Blessings,
Tammy ~@~

7 comments:

lori said...

Tammy....
oh boy...you struck a chord with me girl! I have VERY SHORT dark hair...it's just me...well, it does require a trip every 3 weeks to the hairdresser...but I have to tell you she gives me a break since I see her so much and it's the one thing I do for me...besides exercise...so...anywho...it's TERRIBLY grey...and did I mention dark. Now I have a neighbor with fabulous short, spiky grey hair...it's a crown..but HOW she got to that point I'll never know. I'll look like a skunk for a good year...YUCK!! SO, I try not to care...but I color it every 4 weeks faithfully....

At the end of the day...it's ALL about what's on the inside...I am with you...the grey is meaningless...

Now that I've rambled on and on...

Thanks for joining us today! I LOVE all your HOTM stuff too!!;)

blessings!!
lori

keri said...

Good to hear that you think the gray hairs are meaningless. Makes the hi-lites pretty meaningless as well, eh?! muahahaha!!! Thank goodness it's just hair.... ;)

pianopraise80 said...

Exactly....if it's so meaningless, then you won't mind when we, um, "play" with it....

Love Bears All Things said...

I'm glad you are comfortable with the grey. Now that I have hair that is more blond than brunette, I'm not bothered by mine either. You see, I'm allergic to haircolor so we add the highs and lows with the foil, can't get too close to the scalp, though. When I stand in front of a mirror with lights shinnig right on the top, I see all those sparkles which are grey, and I don't care either.
I have long, thick hair and when it is wet, underneath the top layer, it is very wavy, almost like a spiral. I've often wondered if I cut that top layer, would it do like yours did. But I like it long so I can put it up when I have a bad hair day.
Blessings this week! You opened this topic, look what you inspired.
Love what Pianopraise80 had to say.
Mama Bear

Denise said...

Bless you for this post dear one.

ValleyGirl said...

I've had random grey hairs since I was a teenager. Of course, there's considerably more now than there used to be, but I too, have decided to age gracefully rather than try to pretend it isn't happening to me. I think that ties into "living well" quite nicely. Great post once again, Tammy! (have you noticed how many Tammy/Tammi's are participating in this? Weird, eh?)

mom said...

I've loved reading all the hair comments here! It is funny how my family seems to comment on certain topics such as this one. Can you tell there's people who would love to color my hair?!

There are a lot of Tammys who blog! Makes me feel better about my name....

Blessings,
Tammy ~@~

Blog Widget by LinkWithin