Thursday, May 29

r u ok?

A recent article in the newspaper talked about today's youth and how text messaging was affecting their literacy. Their spelling abilities were noticeably declining due to the abbreviations and acronyms they commonly used in today's communication via cell phones or computers.

Over the weekend we were talking about some of the abbreviations that youth are using and which I've noticed popping up on Facebook as I visit some of the high schoolers pages. YIKES! No, you won't find me repeating them here as I would have to censor them all with *beep* *beep* and *beep* But our conversation got interesting as my own youth talked about occasionally using these acronyms and justifying it because you weren't really saying the words that they stood for, and in fact, you didn't even think about the words they stood for as you used the acronyms. It was just something that everyone said. YIKES again! No, I'm not hearing them used in our conversations, but they apparently use them online. One son also stated that everyone who knows him knows he wouldn't ever use those actual words because of his testimony. Hello? Doesn't just using the acronyms say something about your testimony? Needless to say, we all went round and round in this conversation.

And I kept coming back to this Scripture: "You brood of vipers, how can you who are evil say anything good? For out of the overflow of the heart the mouth speaks. The good man brings good things out of the good stored up in him, and the evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in him. But I will tell you that men will have to give account on the day of judgment for every careless word they have spoken." ~ Matthew 12:34-36

For out of the overflow of the heart the mouth speaks. Period.

Another reminder for my youth: "Flee the evil desires of youth, and pursue righteousness, faith, love, and peace, along with those who call on the Lord out of a pure heart." ~ 2 Timothy 2:22

For out of the overflow of the pure heart the mouth speaks. Period.

And it was a good reminder for this mom. Although I don't use many acronyms online, I can still speak careless words in my daily life. What's in my heart?

May your words be as pleasant as honeycomb in your garden today!

Blessings,
Tammy ~@~


1 comment:

Brumbemom said...

Thank you for those fine words this morning. Living with a pure heart, that is a tall order, and having your words prove it. Great thoughts.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin