Wednesday, June 4

whoa outta shape!

Here I was thinking that I had been getting myself into half way decent shape over the last couple of years....losing weight, exercising, eating well....

HA!

It was an illusion. And this past Saturday proved that it was a painful illusion.

After years of watching my kids play soccer, I weakened at the soccer sign-up night this spring when the board members were pleading for parents to volunteer to coach a team. In other words, I signed on the dotted line while giving pertinent information for a background check as well as names as character references. Apparently everything checked out as I was promoted to the next step.

Training. It came in two parts on Saturday. The first session was the sit-down and learn all the important coach things and....take a written test....yikes! The second session in the afternoon was mainly held in the gym while we covered basic soccer skills and learned soccer drills for our age group (eight and nine year olds). Oh, we didn't just watch the instructors demonstrate these things. We had to DO these things. You know, dribble the ball. Kick the ball. Pass the ball. Try to get other person's ball. Head the ball. Play different games with the ball. It was all about *the ball* for almost two hours.

And you know what I was thinking? "WHAT WAS I THINKING WHEN I AGREED TO DO THIS?!?!? I MUST HAVE BEEN CRAZY!!!!!" For you see, the illusion I was living under was painfully brought to the forefront. I was breathless and my heart was beating as fast as a little bird. I was thirsty. I was light headed. I was tired. Did I mention how breathless I was from the running? YIKES! I shouldn't be coaching a kids soccer team....I'm a grandmother, for heaven's sake! Oh, and once we were done exhausting ourselves, we had a small classroom session to review what we had covered and had another written test....yikes!

So, now it's time to look at the facts. I am committed to being a soccer coach for the upcoming late summer/fall session AND I'm really NOT in very good shape. So, it is imperative that I come up with a conditioning plan. I need to spend time practicing with a soccer ball and I need to do some running (I think I've stepped out of the boat again, Tina!). I also need to learn the fine details of the game a bit better.

I think I can I think I can I think I can I know I can I know I can I know I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me! SCORE!

To follow the journey of other Living Well women, please visit HERE

Any new challenges pop up in your life recently?

Blessings,
Tammy ~@~

8 comments:

Jamie - RoseCottage said...

Whew! I'm out of breath reading all that! I'm trying to get myself in better shape, too - not so much for looks, but so I am just plain more fit, particularly in the cardio department!

ValleyGirl said...

Wow, look at you! That is SUPER ambitious! You're feelin' it now, but imagine how great you'll feel after a summer of serious working out! PLUS, you'll have some major bragging rights, being a soccer coaching granny and all!

Christin said...

I think this will be a wonderful opportunity for you! What a great way to get in shape and be accountable. Not it may not always be easy or fun, but it will be worth it. ;)

I started running last summer and at first I loved it - then I started hating it - but I did it anyways because running is 90% mind, 10% body. Your mind will defeat you before your body will. Remember that when you're training - YOU CAN DO IT!

One thing I ALWAYS noticed after a run - I was ALWAYS glad I went. :)

Love Bears All Things said...

Wow, great post! And I know you can, you can, you can!! You're doing something for the kids and yourself at the same time. Stay positive!
Mama Bear

Darlene said...

I love soccer!! But wouldn't have the courage to sign up like you did. Good that you did since it will motivate you to press on, and you'll make your kids proud. Yay!

I love this line:

I think I can I think I can I think I can I know I can I know I can I know I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me! SCORE!

Denise said...

Sweetie, you can do this. I have faith in you, God will give you strength. You will succeed.

mom said...

Wow! Thank you for the encouragement! I'll have to come back here and read these comments again when I'm questioning and saying to myself, "WHAT WAS I THINKING?!" LOL!

Blessings,
Tammy ~@~

Kathleen Marie said...

I am so with you...Get off the bleachers and MOVE! Have a great weekend!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin