Wednesday, July 30

are you sleepy yet?

From time to time we get a flyer with various information from the local medical clinics. This spring they had an article about sleep which was interesting to read. I've spent so many years getting up with nursing babies or children that I could not WAIT to get everyone in their own beds sleeping all night so that I could sleep all night. What a surprise to find that because of the long stretched out years of having my family, now that everyone is in their own beds sleeping I've reached an age where a full good night's sleep is more elusive :::sigh:::

Anywho....there was a separate chart of "How to Get a Good Night's Sleep" which listed the following:

1. Establish a regular bedtime and wake time.

2. If you nap, early to mid-afternoon is best.

3. Avoid drinking alcohol four to six hours before bedtime.

4. Limit or eliminate caffeine after lunch.

5. Reduce or eliminate the use of nicotine.

6. Exercise regularly, but not before bedtime.

7. Avoid heavy meals close to bedtime.

8. Sleep in a dark, comfortable, and quiet room.

9. Create a relaxing routine at bedtime.

10. Do not stay in bed if you cannot sleep.

11. Chronic use of sleeping pills is not recommended.

12. Don't create a habit of eating, watching television, or reading excessively in bed.

Okay, most of these I already knew and made perfect common sense to me. But I've never heard of number ten, have you? Typically if I can't sleep I will try a number of things to fall back asleep like: covers on or cover off; roll to a different position; go to the bathroom; do a head to toe body relaxation; count backwards from 100; or the best one and often the reason I think the Lord has kept me awake - PRAY! But I've never considered actually getting up. I'm afraid that if I did that it would really throw my sleep patterns off.

So, now I'm curious. Have any of you ever gotten up in the middle of the night when you couldn't sleep?

"I will lie down and sleep in peace, for you alone, O LORD, make me dwell in safety." ~ Psalm 4:8

To follow the journey of other Living Well women, please go HERE

Blessings,
Tammy ~@~

2 comments:

ValleyGirl said...

It's funny how even though we KNOW sleep is good for us, it's still one of the first things that gets sacrificed. I used to have a lot of trouble falling asleep (couldn't stop thinking and planning and whatnot) and I started counting backwards from 100 with each slow inhale and exhale. It worked like a charm and I never need that anymore. I've managed to train myself to relax and, most importantly, shut off my brain at the end of the day!!! Now if only I could train myself to get to bed at a decent time...

Denise said...

Praying for God to bless you with peaceful rest.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin