Wednesday, July 9

a Living Well walk



My Living Well post is a tad bit late today. My update for this week is that I took a two mile or so walk yesterday. I think that is the first time I've walked any distance since I went walking at the high school back in May. Yes, that is sad, isn't it? Walking is such a wonderful exercise with so many benefits and I really do need to get back on track with a regular walking time.

But yesterday afternoon I wasn't really thinking about the benefits that I would receive from the long walk. After a long drive to my daughter's place, it was time to get her moving. She had very obediently kept a low profile during her early stages of labor while waiting for her mother birth doula to arrive. And once here, it was time to get things going! It was really nice to walk and chat which confirms to me that if at all possible, find a walking partner. Of course, a laboring walking partner can suddenly get more quiet and serious and focused and then you know it's time to head back.

That walk was a turning point in her labor.

And I believe that regular walking can be a turning point in a woman's Living Well journey as well. It's a low impact exercise which burns calories, relieves stress, firms muscles, aids flexibility, provides energy, and is enhanced by fellowship with a walking partner. I'd say that all those benefits are almost as wonderful as holding a sweet brand new grandangel in your arms. Almost :-)

To follow the journey of other Living Well women, please go HERE

Blessings,
Tammy ~@~

5 comments:

ValleyGirl said...

Congratulations, grandma!!

I'm a HUGE fan of the walk and do it every day, if possible. With hubby's job, it's not always possible for me to leave the house and the girls behind. So then I have to improvise, but I miss the walk those days. I've come to really depend on that time. I enjoy it with others periodically, but I kinda prefer to have that time to myself, first thing in the morning. It's my "centering" time.

Denise said...

Great job sweetie.

Marsha said...

Well, I was hoping for the ending to show a picture of the new grandbaby! I'll just have to check back later.

Darlene said...

I always think walking is so boring. It's like I'm too hyper to slow down for a while. But you make this walking with a partner thing sound fun. Hmmm.... I'm thinking this could be good dating time with my hubby (who loves to walk by the way). Thanks, smarty pants. I'm always learning from you.

Darlene said...

Wait a minute... what happened? Did the baby come?

Blog Widget by LinkWithin