Wednesday, July 23

more celery?

This past Sunday I read this short article in the newspaper which I clipped out:

"At last, celery gets some respect. University of Illinois researchers say that a compound called luteolin in the crunchy stalk may help dramatically reduce brain inflammation implicated in Alzheimer's disease -- they've shown it works in mice. Caveat: The chief researcher notes that the mice ate the human equivalent of about 47 servings of celery daily." ~ Jean Carper, USA Weekend

In this same section of the newspaper there was also an article about two recent diabetes studies whose results actually contradicted one another. The article concluded that the best thing for those dealing with diabetes is what has worked for a long time - consistent moderate activity.

Isn't that just like medical research?! One day coffee is good for you, the next day it isn't. One day this diet is good for you, the next day it isn't. Pick a food and medical research will definitely have something bizarre to say about it someday. Like...eat 47 servings of celery to get the best health benefit!

Actually, I think we could throw out all the medical research. Yup, bye bye! And just stick with basics. Eat a balanced moderate diet of fruits, vegetables, grains, nuts, seeds, lean protein. Exercise. Fresh air and sunshine. Adequate sleep. Drink plenty of water. Hard to believe it could be that simple and you'll feel great by following it. Hey, I'm not even a rocket scientist!

And then take the basics one step further. "Commit to the LORD whatever you do, and your plans will succeed." ~ Proverbs 16:3

Here's to living well on this beautiful summer day!

To follow the journey of other Living Well women, please go HERE

Blessings,
Tammy ~@~

4 comments:

Amanda B. said...

Amen and Amen!! If I say it once I say it a hundred times to my diabetic patients, "God created all food groups, he gave us protein, carbohydrates, and fats! If he gave it all to us...then he intended that we eat it all!"

I've done Adkins, I've cut fat, I've juiced, etc, etc. I am here to tell you that medical research is not the answer. Jesus is!! Until I replaced my god...food with the true and living God: Christ, I never saw results. You can count carbs, points, and calories...but I truly believe success will never come until you DAILY lay down your worship of food and pick up the cross and follow HIM!! So, yes, as a pharmacist and a diabetic educator, AND a follower of Christ...I think the Medical research should go out the window and the Bible should be the source or our nutrition advice. Of course, that is a hard sale in our culture.

Blessings,

Amanda @ onesacrifice.blogspot.com

ValleyGirl said...

I KNOW! If I had more guts (and was a little smarter), I'd apply for a huge government grant to do a study that would prove all these studies are completely ridiculous and very counter-productive!! And I get so sick of the media pouncing on each and every one of them ~ especially the ones that prove negative things. We humans are so silly!

Certainly, the concept of LIVING WELL is simple enough, although I have to say, I'm thankful there are programs out there for people like me ~ retraining me to listen to my God-given, built-in body management systems! I've been ignoring them for a VERY long time!!

I like that verse you shared. Must write that down and put it somewhere where I'll see it often.

Denise said...

Amen to this awesome post.

Miss*Suzanne said...

I started to giggle...seriously, if a little biddy mouse has to eat 47 stalks of celery can you imagine how many a grown woman would have to eat? Ha! Ha!

You're so right....common sense rules!

Have a fun day and thanks for the giggle.

Suzie ;)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin