Thursday, August 21

finding contentment

Okay, this is not important in the scheme of things, but I've had an interesting revelation this week about my coffee drinking.

For many years I only drank coffee off and on when I wasn't pregnant or nursing a baby...in other words, I hardly drank coffee. But over the last ten years or so, there's been more opportunity to enjoy this caffeine habit as my babies spread out. And one of my favorite parts of coffee drinking was adding some flavored creamers to the cup. Mmmmmmm! Then one day I read the label on the creamer container and instantly went "blech!" Too long of a list and whenever "artificial flavors" is part of an ingredient list in any product I always wonder exactly what THAT is since it can't be real stuff. So, alas, I decided to give up my creamers and instead go with a little spoonful of sugar and a dash of good old milk. A good choice which also saved me money. And my only indulgence with creamers came on rare Sunday mornings after church when there was occasionally a good creamer on the table with the coffee.

Ahhhh, but then when my college son left for school, he also left behind a creamer that he had bought recently and told me I could use it. YAY! So, this week I gleefully poured some into my cup of coffee and was, well, I was disappointed. Can you believe it? All this time I've been thinking I was missing something only to find out that I really prefer the real thing. Simply a little spoonful of sugar with a dash of milk.

Truly this is a perfect example of the grass is always greener on the other side. How often do our hearts long for something which when we FINALLY get it we realize it wasn't all we thought it would be and it doesn't even come close to our high expectations. In fact, what we did have was already perfect for us!

Longing longing hearts :::sigh:::: How I desire to be content with exactly what the Lord already has for me!

"Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee." ~ Hebrews 13:5 (KJV)

May you find contentment in your garden today!

Off to can some beets!

Blessings,
Tammy ~@~

5 comments:

Angela said...

Oh, I can relate to this post for sure. I was just telling my husband how if I could do so much of our younger days together over how I would be content with everything we had-that little house we rented from my dad that I thought at the time was a cracker jack box, the old ragged cars, less stuff but more money and more peace and a simple life. Why can't we learn these things earlier in life?

Angela

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/byourlove1

stephseef said...

oh man... it was like losing an arm when i decided to stop using the ol' vanilla creamer. i figured anything with a shelf life THAT long didn't need to be in my body for THAT long - like twinkies! But I have so come to appreciate a GOOD, strong, bold cuppa joe - just black. I've come a long way from the days at country kitchen when i forced myself to drink coffee - to be cool in college - with more sugar and milk than coffee!

learning to be content. indeed.
s

mom said...

Ahhh, yes, hindsight truly is 20/20, isn't it? Fortunately you're learning the lesson while you are still so young and can apply it to the present :-)

Blessings,
Tammy ~@~

mom said...

I hear ya, Steph! LOL! I'm working myself back to black...very slowly!

Blessings,
Tammy ~@~

linda said...

No the grass isn't always greener on the other side...even regarding creamers!

Take care and have a great weekend!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin