Monday, August 25

yawning over change

Through the years there's always been certain kids in our family who didn't handle change well. Knowing this, if there was a change of plans in the works, I'd tell those particular kids first so they would have time to process what was about to happen before it actually happened. And then the transition would go smoothly.

In recent years I've realized that I don't really like sudden change much either. Ohhh, I'm very flexible when things come up, but deep down I like to know enough in advance so that I have time to transition smoothly to whatever is about to change instead of feeling a tad bit frenzied.

What is fascinating knowing that about myself is that lately there have been several things that have changed suddenly. One minute things are solid one way and the next minute they are very different. And my heart has barely skipped a beat. Instead I issue a ho hum ::::yawn::::

Take last night. One of the kids was dropped off by his friend's dad who casually mentioned that we had a frost advisory issued for the night. WHAT?! FROST IN AUGUST?! And I ::::yawned:::: and said that there was no way I was going to be able to cover all my flowers and my entire garden in the dark that late at night....instead of rushing around like a madwoman trying to get it all done because the sudden change meant sudden action. (And what was cool was waking up this morning to a heavy fog covering the landscape which was protecting all my plants)

What happened to me? I dunno. Maybe I'm just plain old too tired to be frenzied anymore, eh? I mean, being frenzied when changes happen takes a lot of energy and I'm running real low on energy these days. OR maybe it's just a different phase of maturing in my faith. Knowing that God is in control even in the midst of many sudden changes and I really don't have to be concerned about those things. I just need to keep moving along doing what is before me to do. Because the bottom line in all changes is knowing that God is never changing.

"Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever." ~ Hebrews 13:8

Truly, keeping that uppermost in my mind gives me a stability and peace that the changing world around me cannot provide.

Okay, off to get busy with a list a mile long as we go through the last week of August :::yawn::: :-)

Blessings,
Tammy ~@~

2 comments:

linda said...

I truly could have written this post...I know exactly what you are talking about here.

Things don't throw me off kilter too much anymore. The older I get, the more mellow I've become. Little things don't matter as much...I know what's important and focus on that.

Getting older, and wiser, does have some advantages...it's very freeing isn't it!?!

mom said...

Thanks for the encouragement, Linda! It's nice to know there's others out there walking through some of the same things at the same time. At least there's some positives to this getting older season! :-)

Blessings,
Tammy ~@~

Blog Widget by LinkWithin