Thursday, September 11

back to basics

The trees are beginning to show signs of color all over as we lose the various shades of green we've enjoyed for a wonderful season. A new season is upon us and for our household it means a trip back to basics for our youngest has officially started kindergarten this week. It's been a joy to sit down with her because she's so excited to get started and anxious to read all by herself. We opened the books and one by one went through a page or two. I was quickly able to make an assessment. Reading will not be an immediate thing learned and we'll have to take a slow and steady approach as she fine tunes her ear to matching letters with sounds. One of the tools I did have to immediately use was my *mother look* as older siblings were whispering, "ohhh, she's never going to get it" while I used my other tool called *a mother's praise* as I smiled, kissed her little cheek, and said, "Great job!". Ahhh, yes, the older ones don't remember once upon a time being at the exact same place that she's at right at the moment. For them sounds and reading are an automatic instrument which takes them flying through their books. And someday she'll be flying with them!

Until then, we'll take it a day at a time which is just fine with me. I'm enjoying this journey with my littlest one :-)

Over at Heart of the Matter today, I've written about our new season of homeschooling. Take a moment to stop over there and read my article as well as check out the many resources they have for homeschooling families.

Have a great day in your garden!

Blessings,
Tammy ~@~

2 comments:

My Journey said...

How sweet! How funny! That "mother look" works every time! Have a wonderful day!
Carolina

mom said...

Yes, I do believe the *mother look* is a universal kind of thing...hee hee!

Blessings,
Tammy ~@~

Blog Widget by LinkWithin