Saturday, September 6

throw a tomato

A confession of murmuring and complaining ahead.....

Yesterday I picked up my tomatoes from a local farm market after getting a call they had reached me on their list of names. I've been waiting to get started on canning tomatoes and was anxious to get going.

Tomatoes are my very favorite thing to can. They are so easy and so fast which is good because our family uses a lot of them through the fall, winter, and spring.

I opened up the box when I got home and let out a slight sigh. The box didn't look as full as last year - although cost more - but maybe I was wrong because they sell them by weight. So, I began the canning process and would soon see that it did take me less time to do them and I only had ten quarts. Fortunately I had some of my own tomatoes to fill out the second canner to end up with fourteen quarts.

After cleaning up my kitchen, I made a phone call to another source of tomatoes which has a much better deal selling them in half bushel lots. It isn't just a quick run into town, but 35 miles away which is where an older son is headed next week to take care of some business and he will be able to pick them up for me. I feel much better.

But for a moment I was missing my mom who would often can tomatoes with me. And I can just imagine what our conversation would have been......."remember when you'd get such a great deal on a whole bushel basket overflowing with tomatoes AND you got to KEEP the bushel basket!"

Times....they are a'changin'! And it isn't just with tomatoes. I'm noticing it in many grocery and dry good supplies. Smaller packaging....higher prices. And as our family is sensing the economic downturn through my husband's business, my choices need to become wiser all the time as I feed and take care of my family. Just part of living and learning as a Proverbs 31 wife, isn't it?

So, it's tempting to throw a tomato at the way things seem to be going, but on second thought, hold onto it....I may need it for my next canner!

Enjoy this Saturday in your garden! I'm off on this gloomy damp day for a morning of soccer with my girls :-)

Blessings,
Tammy ~@~

4 comments:

Donna Boucher said...

Tammy,
Down here the tomatoes have had a rough year. All the rain at the beginning of the summer ruined the crop. The folks at Whole Foods have been having a hard time getting their nice tomatoes in.

So perhaps this is why your haul is so skimpy :o(

It is hard to live with the lower quality of our higher priced goods.

Imagine what our grandparents have observed!

mom said...

Yes, I believe we are headed into a season of lessons in the days ahead....

Blessings,
Tammy ~@~

Lisa said...

I love the taste of home canned tomatoes. I have many happy memories of canning with my grandmother.
Have a great weekend.
Hugs. Lisa

Kimmie said...

Hi Tammy;
I canned tomatoes last week...think I put up 19 jars. It was easy and had the kitchen cleaned up rather quickly. They will be good over the winter.

I used some from my garden, some from me mums, and some seconds from the farm stand down the road.

A Proverbs 31 woman...that makes me smile. Thanks!

Kimmie
mama to 6
one homemade and 5 adopted

Blog Widget by LinkWithin