Friday, November 14

fully

Since I typically write my blog before schooling, I often forget about different things that come up during the day, especially during those devotional readings that begin our school day.

It's been especially interesting because we've been able to draw some parallels between our Old Testament reading and our New Testament reading lately. Like yesterday.

We were reading from I Kings chapter 8 which includes King Solomon's prayer of dedication for the awesome temple he built for God's dwelling place. It is a rather cool prayer that is worthy of reading. When he finished it, he spoke a blessing upon Israel and the last line of it read:

"But your hearts must be fully committed to the LORD our God, to live by his decrees and obey his commands, as at this time." (I Kings 8:61)

After finishing the chapter, we went to our next reading which was Mark chapter 8 with Jesus teaching and miracles. The chapter closes out with Jesus predicting his coming death and He speaks a familiar verse in these last verses:

"Then he called the crowd to him along with his disciples and said: 'If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me.'" (Mark 8:34)

Both statements were made to those who were followers of God. There can be no question of the level of commitment expected. They weren't encouraging a Sunday morning only kind of responsibility or a when it feels good kind of thing. Nope. Both King Solomon and Jesus were quite clear of the commitment required.

Fully. All. Deny Self. 24/7. Follow hard after God.

And as my friend who leads our women's Bible study always likes to say...."Soooo, how are you doing with that?" as she speaks accountability into our lives.

Oh, yes indeed, God's Word does sharpen, doesn't it?

Blessings,
Tammy ~@~

4 comments:

Kimmie said...

It does and I pray that I am really Point-y and Light.

bless your day!

Kimmie
mama to 6
one homemade and 5 adopted

The Arthur Clan said...

I love your accountability group leader's saying...that's great!

And you are completely correct about the sharpening. Great reminder Tammy.

Angela said...

Sounds like you are getting some great time in God's Word! How exciting.

I can't think of a better encourager then you! You have been so encouraging to me, a true answer to prayer. I voted for you.

Angela

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/byourlove1

mom said...

Your word of encouragement came at just the right moment, Angela! Thanks! :-)

Blessings,
Tammy ~@~

Blog Widget by LinkWithin