Wednesday, November 12

that stubborn apple

You know what they always say...the apple doesn't fall far from the tree :::sigh:::

Stubbornness is that apple today.

No, my kids aren't being particularly stubborn about anything right now.

I have been.

I have been kicking and screaming and belligerent about the change of seasons. And no, it isn't every season I do this with...only this particular one. Perhaps it's because I KNOW that winters are extremely long and cold and cabin feverish that I just don't want to admit to myself it is REALLY here. *IF* I could just pretend it's still fall and wear my favorite sunny yellow fleece every time I need to leave the house and open my windows for fresh air and and and....

And finally I gave in. The truth of the matter was that I was miserable pretending it was fall. No, perhaps that isn't accurate. I was freezing cold all the time and the older I get, the less I like feeling COLD. Finally I conquered my stubbornness and got out my boots, mittens, and winter coat. I packed away my capris and washed up my favorite sunny yellow fleece. Flannel sheets on the bed and slipper socks on my feet. I even turned the furnace on for a short while yesterday to warm up the entire house as the far reaches tend not to get very warm from our woodburner.

I am warm and I am happy.

So much better than being stubborn and wanting my own way. So very much better.

And sometimes I play that stubborn game with God. He knows there's something better ahead for me. He even shows me in His word while confirming it in other ways, but I will need to make some adjustments in my life. Simply put, *I* don't want to because I like things the way they are. Period. So, I kick and I scream and I act a tad bit belligerent. Well, maybe more than a tad bit.

Finally I give in because I am miserable. I KNOW my way isn't the best way. I KNOW He's addressing sin in my life. I KNOW I need to change. And I KNOW He will help me with each step.

And suddenly I am warm. And I am happy. And life is so much better because I'm walking in His Will and not demanding my own stubborn way.

Now to help those little apples in my life with this lesson....

Blessings,
Tammy ~@~

5 comments:

Karen said...

Girl, we sound like sisters of the heart. (and while your children might not be being stubborn at the moment, there's nothing worse than seeing your faults reflected in your children. sigh.)

May your day be warm, inside and out!

karen

Heasleye said...

Thanks for that, Tammy! You gave a wonderful illustration.

ValleyGirl said...

That is the way it goes, isn't it? I have the same problem. With winter AND stubbornness!!

The Arthur Clan said...

I agree with Elaine...that was a wonderful example to use for this lesson. A beautiful reminder to trust on God and not on my stubborn self!

mom said...

Glad to hear I'm not the only one with a stubborn streak! We can all :::sigh::: together...

Blessings,
Tammy ~@~

Blog Widget by LinkWithin