Friday, December 19

wanted....good fruit!

It's no secret that I'm not a winter person and little things keep reminding me of that fact. Like fruits and vegetables. Produce this time of the year lacks the flavor and freshness of summer. No doubt the delivery process from afar to our northern region plays a part in the product we purchase. It's a sad thing to cut into a melon only to have to say "blech!" because it lacks the flavor and the perfect texture to melt in your mouth. Or lettuce that is wilted or rusty. Limp broccoli. Rotten apples. Sour grapes. The list goes on.....

I was reminded of fruit in our morning devotions from Luke chapter 6: "No good tree bears bad fruit, nor does a bad tree bear good fruit. Each tree is recognized by its own fruit. People do not pick figs from thornbushes, or grapes from briers. The good man brings good things out of the good stored up in his heart, and the evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in his heart. For out of the overflow of his heart his mouth speaks." (verses 43-45)

Oh oh.

:::gulp:::

Just as the fruits and vegetables in my grocery store produce aisle lack the taste and flavor putting them into the "good" category during this winter season, I'm finding that my own words would be found currently lacking the joy and kindness to be put into the "good fruit" category during this holiday season. Wilted, rusty, sour, rotten, and tasteless come to mind as my family protests with a "Blech, Mom!" You'd think I'd learn as every year this seems to happen in that final week stretch before Christmas. Way too many extra things to do for a mom already juggling a lot of normal things in her routine.

But there are no excuses. None. Zero. Zip. Nada.

Bottom line.......what's in my heart?

Obviously just like the fruits and vegetables traveling from afar, something got lost in the delivery process from my heart to my mouth.

Once again I'm thankful for God's Word that speaks loudly into my life and makes me stop and examine and get back on the right path. A path that captures the joy found in the reason for the season!

So how's your "good fruit" doing this holiday season? May it be a sweet nourishing blessing to everyone around you!

Blessings,
Tammy ~@~


3 comments:

Mrs. E. said...

One child reminded me yesterday, "Mom, you're using that voice again." OK, attitude adjustment. Good reminder Tammy.

mom said...

Yes, our children are very often our best accountability partners, aren't they?! They work wonders around here, too :::sigh:::

Blessings,
Tammy ~@~

The Arthur Clan said...

My youngest son is even more direct..."mommy, you're being MEAN!"

Yikes...time to change my tone a bit I guess. :)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin