Saturday, January 31

the main track

From my devotional based upon Philippians 3:13b - "But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead."

"One of Satan's favorite employees is the switchman. He likes nothing better than to sidetrack one of God's express trains, sent on some blessed mission and filled with the fire of a holy purpose.

Something will come up in the pathway of the earnest soul, to attract its attention and occupy its strength and thought. Sometimes it is a little irritation and provocation. Sometimes it is some petty grievance we stop to pursue or adjust. Sometimes it is somebody else's business in which we become interested, and which we feel bound to rectify. And before we know, we are absorbed in a lot of distracting cares and interests that quite turn us aside from the great purpose of our life.

Perhaps we do not do much harm, but we have missed our connection. We have got off the main line.

Let all these things alone. Let grievances come and go, but press forward steadily and irresistibly, crying, as you haste to the goal, 'This one thing I do.'" ~ A.B. Simpson

Ahhhh, this past week I pinpointed a familiar feeling I had been experiencing. That restless frustrated annoyed upset distracted depressing feeling. For I recognized experiencing the exact same thing before when a man from the Democratic party took the presidential office. Clinton was his name. His first one hundred days threw me in a tizzy.

Then I got a grip. Scripture pulled me back on track. God is in control. Nothing that happens surprises Him. He knows all things. Even if everything around me is falling apart, I can completely trust Him. The only and BEST thing I could do was PRAY. Then PRAY some more!

At least I got a grip earlier in the process this time.

But it's been even more interesting this time around because there's been other little things in my life at the same time easily causing the same feeling. Things not even related to politics. Things that make me want to growwwwwwwwl! Definitely things that would be in the sidetracked category that seek to absorb me and turn me from the main track.

The enemy is pretty clever, isn't he? Seeing that he already had me traveling in a direction he wanted me, why not throw a few more things in the way of distraction!

HA! I'm on to him now and I'm done wrestling with all the distractions!

Again, delving deeper into God's Word and spending time in prayer have put me back on track clarifying the vision and purpose God has for me.

Whew!

May you be traveling on the main line today and not be fooled by the crafty switchman!

Blessings,
Tammy ~@~

4 comments:

ChiGirl said...

WOW. Was that a timely quote for me this morning!! All I have to say is OUCH!

Mrs. E. said...

I know exactly what you're saying. You express yourself so poignantly.
Thanks for always pointing our heads & hearts upward.

iHeartFaces said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
theArthurClan said...

That last (deleted) comment was from me Tami...I accidentally left it from our iHeartFaces account instead of from my theArthurClan one.

I just wanted you to know what a blessing you are to me and my faith. You are such an encouragement to me and always seem to post exactly what I need to hear. Thank you for that!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin