Tuesday, February 17

do ALL things

The Bible verse for my devotional came from the book of Philippians. To get the full meaning, I backed up and read from the beginning of chapter two. As it talked about following the example of Jesus Christ and His humility as we live out the result of our faith in Him, I came upon a familiar verse often quoted by me to my children....verse 14 which says "Do all things......". The difference was this time I was reading it out of the ESV version which says, "Do all things without grumbling or questioning". I don't recall ever reading the word 'questioning' before.

Do all things without....

murmurings

disputings

complaining

grumbling

arguing

faultfinding.

Yup, those are all familiar sounding for that verse. But questioning?

How often do my children ask me why? And perhaps the bigger question is how often do *I* ask God why?

I suppose there are different types of questioning. Sometimes when my kids question me it is for a valid purpose and part of a fact finding mission. Their desire is to be obedient, however they need more knowledge to be effective. But often it can be a questioning because they don't want to do something and the 'why?!' becomes more of a whine.

So how do *I* question God? For more knowledge or as a whine?

And what would happen if I would do ALL things without questioning? Just trusted and obeyed? Every time? Took the step of faith? Even for the hard things....

Good things for me to ponder on this day! How about you?

Blessings,
Tammy ~@~


6 comments:

Letitia said...

What a good post. It reminded me of how Zachariah questioned Gabriel about how Elizabeth could have a child, and how Mary questioned how she could have a child. Zachariah doubted. Mary was just curious.
Yes, after being gone 24 out of 37 days, my mind is a little boggled about settling back into some kind of routine. I am being emotionally challenged this month! : )
Does your blog have RSS feed that I can subscribe to, so that I can get automatic updates?

Letitia said...

Never mind. I found it! : )

Trinity Mommy said...

Great post... I hadnt really thought much about "questioning" God before in comparison to the way my children "question" me! This has been very convicting!

Kimmie said...

I'd venture to say, 'A good thing for us to ponder, everyday.'

Guess God wouldn't ask us, if he knew we couldn't. Guess the glory is in the 'doing and the stretching'- from the faith and trust we currently are standing in.

Kimmie
mama to 7
one homemade and 6 adopted

mom said...

Ohhh, Kimmie, good words! Yes, He asks us to do things which we can do...and often only with His strength! But they are not impossible, are they?! :-)

Blessings,
Tammy ~@~

theArthurClan said...

Great thought to ponder today Tammy...I'm so glad you shared it with us.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin