Thursday, April 9

a different kind of turtle

Continue reading this post with caution for it includes a recipe for a very delicious dessert that includes chocolate.....



Chocolate Caramel Turtle Cake


1 box German chocolate cake mix
1 1/2 cups water
3 eggs
1 1/2 sticks butter or margarine, melted
14 oz package of caramels
1/3 cup evaporated milk
12 oz package of milk chocolate chips
1 cup finely chopped pecans or walnuts

Beat together cake mix, water, eggs, and melted butter until smooth. Pour 2 cups of batter into a greased and floured 9 x 13 inch pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.

In a double boiler (or microwave oven), melt caramels and evaporated milk. Pour over the cake as soon as it is removed from the oven. Work quickly before the caramel mixtures stiffens. Sprinkle milk chocolate chips and nuts over the caramel. Pour the remaining cake batter over the "turtle" filling and return to the oven. Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes or until the sides of the cake start pulling away from the pan. If desired, after cutting and placing pieces on a serving plate, dust with powdered sugar and drizzle chocolate syrup on top.


~~~~~~~~~~

This recipe appeared in our local paper early this winter and I finally made it for the first time last night as our Bible study dessert. It received rave reviews and recipe requests plus it was easy to make, so it seemed like a good recipe to share here, too.

We did have one problem as somehow the oven got turned off unnoticed after the first baking, so when I went to take the cake out of the oven after the second baking it was obviously not done. I then discovered what had happened, turned the oven back on, and baked it longer. Fortunately that didn't seem to affect the recipe at all.

The thing I would maybe try next time is putting a bit more batter in the first layer - maybe 3 to 4 cups? - so that the turtle layer was more centered in the cake. It would also taste delicious being served warm out of the oven with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top.

One last tip....there was a note at the bottom of this recipe to cut the squares small as it is a rich dessert. I didn't notice that note until today as I typed the recipe....hee hee....and can testify that it is a good tip to follow!

Enjoy!

Blessings,
Tammy ~@~

6 comments:

Kimmie said...

Hmmmmmmm, yum!...thanks from sharing. I don't know if I can manage to part with my carmels, but it would put them to good use now wouldn't it.

Kimmie
mama to 7
one homemade and 6 adopted

mom said...

Kimmie, you make me smile!

The package I bought had 15oz so immediately my kids were trying to figure out how many they could eat and still have the right recipe amount! LOL!

Blessings,
Tammy ~@~

Tina said...

Yummy. Thanks for sharing ;)

ChiGirl said...

I see you added a step. :-D Sounds like a good addition to me!!

theArthurClan said...

I think I gained five pounds just from reading this. Yummy!!

mom said...

Combine this recipe with overindulging in Easter candy and you have yourself an easy ten, Angie!

Blessings,
Tammy ~@~

Blog Widget by LinkWithin