Saturday, June 20

full of seedlings

Since this blog has a gardening theme, every once in awhile it does seem necessary to prove that I actually garden! In fact, I love to garden! Just seems I'm often busier gardening my family than digging in actual dirt when it comes to blog material.

My vegetable garden went in later than usual due to our colder than normal spring. The last rows planted were completed on June 15th and we've only had a sprinkle of rain since then, so this morning my sweet husband hooked up the hoses for me and I went out to gently hand water the rows.

What a wonderful surprise to see so many rows already up and growing! The corn, the beets, the beans, the kohlrabi, the lettuce, the onions, the radishes, the spinach, and the seed flowers at the end of the garden.


Probably one of my favorite seedlings coming through the dirt are the beans. I love how they are slightly bent until the leaves pull them out and out.


And I love the tender early stage when the bean seed is still slightly attached on the sides until the plant gets a little bit bigger and those fall away.

Ahhhh, this is heaven on earth!

Please note my professional looking garden marker popscicle sticks. My kids are always delighted when I get toward the end of my planting and I run out of markers. A quick run to the grocery store for whatever is on sale in the ice cream freezer department - this year it was orange dreamscicles! - and mom shouting eat as many as you want NOW as I need the sticks is indeed the best gardening bonus to my kids.

Enjoy this wonderful gardening season!

Blessings,
Tammy ~@~

4 comments:

ValleyGirl said...

Haha, you're such a generous mom ~ I always just have a stash of plastic forks to use as row markers. The handles are wide enough to write on with Sharpie markers and the tines hold them firmly in the dirt ~ no treats for MY kids!!

mom said...

I never thought about using plastic forks, and I even have a stash of them in a bag in the garage. I'll have to go and look at the width of the handles and consider them for next year's planting.

Kimmie said...

I have used plastic knives before...

thanks for the reminder to go out and weed. We've had so much rain in the last month, I have already begun to *neglect* the gardening. (earlier than usually I am afraid.)

May your garden grow beautifully.

Kimmie
mama to 7
one homemade and 6 adopted

mom said...

Ohhh, Kimmie! I wish you'd share your rain as we are so dry! It would be early to start suffering with garden neglect. That usually hits here around August....

Blessings,
Tammy ~@~

Blog Widget by LinkWithin