Saturday, June 13

the inevitable startles

Ahhhhh, yes! To be out in the garden is a glorious thing especially when it's a glorious day!

My first gardening task every year which takes a day of work is to go along the inside perimeter of the garden fence and pull all the weeds and grass that have encroached since gardening season ended last September. It also involves working around some blueberry bushes and through the rhubarb patch (and please don't ask me if I've baked a rhubarb pie yet.....)

So I was humming to myself as I was working along the rhubarb patch until I lifted one of the big rhubarb leaves and my hum suddenly turned to a SCREAM!

My kids who were playing in the yard came running not knowing what to expect only to find their mother laughing at herself. Silly cat! Startled the living daylights out of me! (Isn't that an odd expression now that I see it written. Living daylights?) They ran to get the camera so we could photograph the hidden garden danger who is nothing but a way laid back cat, well, unless you're a bird who may have experienced the other side of this cat.

You know, it's kind of like daily life. You're moving along doing your normal routine and suddenly a child comes down with a high fever OR you get a flat tire on the way to the grocery store OR the yearly real estate tax bill comes :::thud:::: OR a light bulb goes out with a flash. Things that momentarily startle us, yet after catching our breath we realize they can dealt with easily. You give the child some ibuprofen OR a kind person helps you change your tire OR the money is already budgeted for your real estate taxes OR the light bulb is changed with a turn of the hand.

How thankful I am for the knowledge God has given me to deal with those little things which may temporarily startle!

Yet what if I had lifted that rhubarb leaf and come face to face with the fisher that has been spotted in our neighborhood? That sudden startle may have required more than my common knowledge of the meanness of a fisher, but a rapid cry out to God for His wisdom on how best to respond as well as a quick prayer that the fisher would run in the opposite direction!

Sometimes our daily startles can be bigger than our own knowledge and they do require seeking God for His wisdom. A child's fever that comes with other unexplained symptoms OR a car breakdown requiring transmission repairs beyond the car's value OR a real estate tax bill that has not been budgeted for OR electrical wiring issues in the cord of a lamp that start a fire.

How thankful I am to know God's wisdom is available in those moments that go beyond a temporary startle!

"If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him." ~ James 1:5

As you walk along your garden path, may you find God's faithfulness in the little and big startles of life!

Blessings,
Tammy ~@~


7 comments:

Karen said...

hmmm...animal planet says the fisher will eat anything it can kill. (and now I know how to kill and eat a porcupine as well. Animal planet mammal guides are very useful things.) Anyhow, I'm not sure I'd be entirely comfortable in my backyard if I knew these things were around. (And there's probably a fairly decent metaphor in there as well.)

May your day go smoothly as you rely on His faithfulness.

blessings,
karen

Amy said...

This post remeinds me of how my cat scared me like that one time, though I no longer have him.

When I was pregnant with my first son, I had the nursery set up waaayy in advance. I use to walk in there and just dream about what it would be like once he was there with us.

One night, I was standing in there lost in my thoughts, in the dark, and suddenly Gus jumped up out of the crib! For a minute I thought it was a baby.... yeah, I know, it was obviously NOT a baby, but I was lost in my thoughts, so it startled me to no end! I didn't know Gus was lying there.

Silly Cats!!!

Amy

A Joyful Chaos said...

It's the unexpected things that startle us! Thanks for sharing this post. It was very enjoyable to read.

Your cat looks quite peaceful :-)

ValleyGirl said...

A fisher?! Cool! Well, an up-close-and-personal encounter with one, maybe not, but still... We've got a fox that romps around with the dog periodically. Well, I think it's more the dog tries desperately to catch it, but the fox is just too dang smart and fast. It looks like it's becoming a game!

You're so right about all these things in our lives that happen to startle or derail us, but God keeps us on track regardless of the detours.

Hey, I'm tagging you in my post today!

mom said...

Silly cats is right! The more you chase them out of where they aren't suppose to be, the more they ARE where they aren't suppose to be. Quite the arrogant creatures :-p

We are blessed to see a lot of wildlife passing through the yard and typically they run from humans - thank goodness! - or I'd be afraid to leave the house.

But now you've startled me, Tammi, by tagging me! Oh oh! LOL!

theArthurClan said...

My cat scares me by leaving "presents" of dead moles and mice under my plants. Just about gives me a heart attack every time! Little stinker...

mom said...

I'm quite certain THAT would scare me, too!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin