Tuesday, June 16

sojourn with an exclamation point

Would you consider yourself a stranger?

Stranger: 1. foreigner 2. intruder 3. a person with whom one is unacquainted

"I am a stranger on earth; do not hide your commands from me." ~ Psalm 119:19

How many followers of Christ actually think of themselves as strangers? And do those who know them think of them as strangers?

I'm just randomly guessing that the answer would be that not many Christians think of themselves as strangers nor do those who know them think that either. In fact, it seems that Christians tend to blend in with the rest of the world.

Last night I was reading through the same verses only there was a difference in this verse as I read from the ESV this time: "I am a sojourner on the earth; hide not your commandments from me!" ~ Psalm 119:19

Sojourner: to dwell in a place temporarily

So this morning I looked the word up in Strongs and the Hebrew defines the word stranger as a guest, a foreigner, an alien, a sojourner.

So why am I stuck on this word? I think it's because I was reflecting on who wrote this passage. David. A mighty warrior who most likely knew all the territory of the world at that time as well as having a name that was well known to all those living in the world. A king with a magnificent kingdom where many traveled to have the opportunity to bow down to him. He was "the" man. David.

And yet "the" man with so much and known by all recognized that he was a stranger on a temporary earthly journey and heaven was his true lasting home. He knew that he was dwelling in a land that sought after what the world had to offer and he needed a godly compass to best navigate through it toward what God had to offer. I love that the ESV uses an exclamation point at the end of this verse which to me accentuates his crying out to God to reveal those very commandments which will guide him through life.

David may have been "the" man, yet he was a stranger, a sojourner on this earth as he followed God. I may be just a mom, yet I am a stranger, a sojourner on this earth as I follow Christ.

May my heart cry out with the same exclamation point for God's Word to guide me daily toward my true and everlasting home!

Blessings,
Tammy ~@~

4 comments:

Luke said...

Tammy, that's a good reminder. At the same time, I want to rooted and grounded here to connect to, love, and support those around me. So, yes, I am a stranger--though I feel like it--because I'm trying to be "all things to all men" at the same time.

Odd. Definitely got me thinking now...

~Luke

Letitia said...

I do feel like a stranger here. My problem is that sometimes I forget I'm supposed to, then feel sorry for myself because I am. : )

mom said...

Ahhh, yes, Luke, the balance. To be in the world but not of the world...

I kind of wonder if my heart more naturally wanders heavenward as part of the aging process? (Not that I'm old or anything *wink*)

theArthurClan said...

Beautifully written Tammy and a wonderful reminder to us all...

Blog Widget by LinkWithin