Tuesday, June 30

thin not squeeze

Yesterday afternoon in the misty rains, I took my children's friends home after a day of playing. Once they all jumped out of the car to fit in a little bit more play time, we moms wandered into her garden.

Garden wandering is one of my favorite things in the world to do. And this was no exception as she showed me the rows of veggies in her very first garden. It was a delight to talk about this and that and thinning and transplanting. We browsed through her wide row plantings which had radishes, spinach, and carrots all mingled together and talked about the importance of pulling the bushy radishes as soon as they were ready so that the carrots and spinach would have more room to grow.

And I think that is always one of the hardest things for me to do in my garden. To thin out the rows of things that are good. I cringe every time I pull out little beet or carrot seedlings knowing they could grow into bigger edible beets and carrots, yet they will not be able to do that without room to grow.

Even in my own garden this year I see tons of cucumber and squash plants coming up all over the place. I guess someone in the family must have accidentally put the seeds in the compost over the winter not realizing the future results in the garden. As we begin weeding in the garden, all those random plants will need to be pulled as they will crowd out the veggies that are growing in those rows.

It reminded me of a line in my devotional yesterday.

"There are many things that are perfectly legitimate, but if you are going to concentrate on God you cannot do them."
~ Oswald Chambers

And isn't this the challenge mothers have on a daily basis? There are so many good things we can do whether around our house or for others or in specific areas of ministry and as we plunge into them there's a tendency to have a schedule so full that we end up not taking care of the main things of importance. In fact, when we are juggling a lot of things at once - even good things - often nothing gets done well, does it?

The growth of the important good things in our life get squeezed and then nothing grows well.

Take some time to ponder your life. Thin out things that may be good, but may be hindering you from further developing specific gifts and talents that God had given you. Once you've done that, you'll be more apt to have the concentration you need to focus with passion for the specific tasks God has before you.

Just say no....

And say YES to God!

Blessings,
Tammy ~@~

2 comments:

ValleyGirl said...

Yikes, this is the second rather uncomfortable and convicting message I've gotten today. Maybe I should get off my butt and do something about it!!

Great post, Tammy!

Donnetta said...

What a great analogy and reminder! So many things are good, but not beneficial. Time to evaluate my schedule...

Blog Widget by LinkWithin