Thursday, July 2

living in the dot

At the beginning of the week I was having one of those sad missing a son kind of days. The various *hot spots* around the world seem to be getting hotter and although my son left here with goals he wanted to accomplish in the military, there's a sense I need to prepare my heart for the fact he could be shipped out after completing basic training and before moving on to the next step. And to be honest, that is a real hard thing for me to think about too much and when I do think about it too much my heart aches and the tears fall.

Enter a seventeen year old son during one of those thinking too much about it moments. After talking a bit, he grabbed a piece of paper and drew the following:

Since it didn't photograph well, let me explain it. In the upper left hand corner he wrote "life" and put a dot underneath it. Then he drew a continuous line back and forth to the bottom of the paper and labeled it "eternity". Next to the dot he wrote "seeing Chris" and next to the long lines he wrote "seeing Chris". And then he asked me when I would prefer seeing Chris....for the immensely fleeting time of now or the forever quantity time of eternity?

Yup, sometimes it takes a seventeen year old to take what I already know in my head to transfer that knowledge to my heart. I get it.

And it was confirmed yesterday morning as we did our devotional time at the pregnancy resource center. The reading was Psalm 103 - which is an awesome psalm and you should take a moment to read it! - and the verses worth noting for me were 15 and 16: "As for man, his days are like grass, he flourishes like a flower of the field; the wind blows over it and it is gone, and its place remembers it no more."

A dot. That is how quickly our lives pass in the light of eternity.

My son is doing what he was called to and is willing to boldly take the risks knowing that his time here is a dot and he has eternity in his future.

As I was sitting there before meeting with my first appointment of the day, I considered that every week I had the opportunity to take a risk and boldly share God's love. The numbers of young women - often teens - coming in for pregnancy tests is increasing. Becoming more frequent is the story that they are actually wanting to get pregnant even though the relationship they are in is not stable. In fact, often when the young man finds out the young woman is pregnant, the relationship is swiftly ended. These young women are desperately trying to fill a big hole in their lives. A big hole that only God can fill. The brief contact I have with them may only be a dot within the dot, yet it could impact them for all those long lines of eternity.

Not only do I want to keep this mindset for my weekly shift at the pregnancy resource center, but how very important it is to keep this mindset wherever I am and with whoever God puts on my pathway at any time.

A dot. God's amazing love. It's simple!

Blessings,
Tammy ~@~


4 comments:

Donna Boucher said...

What a wonderful post Tammy.

I am so thankful that you are sharing your faith with those many women who need to hear about our wonderful heavenly Father and his gift of salvation and an abundant life.

ValleyGirl said...

Your son is a wise, wise man. You must be so proud of both him AND his older brother.

Cafe Mocha Momma said...

Isn't it wonderful when God uses our children to give us messages of hope and truth? It never ceases to amaze me how much wisdom can be bottled up into these young hearts that are so thirsty for Him! You are a blessed mother. Praying that God will give you the words to say as you minister to those precious young women.

mom said...

Thank you for your encouragement! I am thankful for the glimpses of God's blessings in my life :-)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin