Saturday, July 4

prayerfully celebrating


There is a solemnness today as I consider our country's celebration of the Fourth of July and the declaration of independence our country made so many years ago. Does it come from this past year's reading with my homeschoolers about the sacrifices made by patriots in our young country? Readings about the oppressiveness of a British King that prohibited basic rights? Heavy taxation? Thinking about the direction our country is currently taking? Wondering if the citizens of our country really understand the concept of independence as they take a pathway toward more dependence giving up freedoms that were hard won?

I think of some of the words written by John Adams to his wife Abigail after the signing of the Declaration of Independence in 1776:

"I am apt to believe that it will be celebrated, by succeeding generations, as the great anniversary festival. It ought to be commemorated, as the Day of Deliverance by solemn Acts of Devotion to God Almighty. It ought to be solemnized with pomp and parade, with shews, games, sports, guns, bells, bonfire and illuminations from one end of this continent to the other from this time forward forever more.

You will think me transported with enthusiasm, but I am not. I am well aware of the Toil, and Blood, and Treasure that it will cost us to maintain this Declaration, and support and defend these States."

Are you as struck by this last line as I am?

May we as Christians be as prayerful as we are celebratory on this day!

Blessings,
Tammy ~@~

2 comments:

Karen said...

My son commented over Memorial Day that we tend to turn everything into a party and we often forget the real reason behind the "remembrance." I suspect that this is true for July 4th as well.

May we never forget the cost...

Learning At Our House said...

These same thoughts have been heavy on my heart as well. I do worry about the future of our country. It just seems as though the true foundation of what The United States of America was founded on is crumbling...

Amy

Blog Widget by LinkWithin